Password: Log In:

Notices

Hot News and New Stuff Forum Cars, Trucks, Boats Up-to-the minute news on the latest kits, RTRs, parts, accessories and more. Be sure to subscribe!

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2008, 04:52 PM
New Media Editor

Silver State Nitro Challenge

I'll be covering the Silver State Nitro Challenge this weekend and will be posting images and results right here. Who do you think is going to win? I'll get track photos, action shots, pit shots, and new stuff up as soon as I get to Vegas.
Sponsored Links

Old 03-08-2008, 11:54 AM
New Media Editor

O'Donnell's Jared Tebo TQ's Truggy

Jared Tebo TQed truggy with his prototype O'Donnell truggy. Jared's only raced the big trucks twice, once two weeks ago at the Nitro Challenge.

- Xray/Trinity's Brian Kinwald was out racing again, which was cool to see.
And, if you're like me you want to know how Kinwald did. He is sitting 54th right now in truggy. His best run was 34th for the first round of qualifying. He hasn't had the best of luck during qualifying, but its good to see him back out at the track.

- HPI's popular 5B is being raced in a demo class and the huge buggies look really good on the track. They can easily clear all of the doubles on the track.

-Here is a look at the top 30 of truggy qualifying.
Old 03-08-2008, 11:59 AM
New Media Editor

Stay tuned, I'll post up to date results right at the track...I'll also get some track photos up and some shots of the pits...I had a memory card go bad on me, so I'll have to reshoot those images.
Old 03-08-2008, 03:33 PM
New Media Editor

Team Losi/GRP's Yannick Aigoin TQs Round #1 of Buggy!!

Team Losi's Yannick Aigoin TQed round #1 of buggy qualifying. I don't think Yannick came in for a pit stop during his qualifier, which saves you about 6-7 seconds. He beat out Team Associated's Ryan "Mansfield" Maifield by just a second and O'Donnell's Jared Tebo who were also ballistic on the blown out track.

Here is the top 10.

Yannick has always been fast and word in the pits is that he has been running with The Drake ever since the Nitro Challenge.

Yannick's buggy is outfitted with GRP's latest power plant. He also ran GRP's Jolly tires cutting out several lugs to create his own pattern.
Old 03-08-2008, 03:56 PM
New Media Editor

Additional photos

Any Richard "The King" Saxton fans out there.

For the U.S. Open of Supercross, which is also in Vegas, some riders will rock a gold graphics theme. Associated's Mansfield was all done up in a gold and black wrap from Upgrade. All of the Upgrade guys come from the moto industry and is why their stuff is always on point.

Typical Silver State, you can't get away from the dust.
Old 03-08-2008, 06:11 PM
New Media Editor

Losi/GRP's Adam Drake TQs Round #2

Adam Drake added a little pack to his buggy's suspension, which enabled him to put down an awesome run. The Drake set the TQ pace, which was challenged by his teammate Yannick Aigoin, and Associated's Ryan Cavalieri.
Old 03-08-2008, 07:23 PM
New Media Editor

More photos

Adam Drake, Ryan Maifield, Mike Truhe, and Yannick Aigoin are all running GRP's new Mario Rossi tuned engine. Drake, Truhe and Aigoin have figured out the mileage and don't need to pit in the 11+ minutes to complete a qualifier.

Mugen's Ninja JX line of engines will be out soon. According to Mugen's Bobby Tillman, they produce great power and the mileage is really good.

Old friends Mike Truhe and Brian Kinwald catch up between rounds. Many may not know this, but "The Dirtinator" (BK) actually groomed Truhe.

The Associated pits were busy as the King, Mansfield, and RC get ready for round #3.

Hot Bodies' Travis Amezcua squirting out of one of the track's deep holes.

RC's badboy, Jeremy Kortz, jumping up one of the track's elevation changes.

The Kyosho team drivers are running the STR-R front pivot blocks on theri buggies, as well as 22-degree caster blocks. They also flip the inserts in the shock towers to add 2-degrees of kickup. All of the team drivers report that the buggy is much better in rougher sections.
Old 03-08-2008, 08:43 PM
New Media Editor

Drake TQs Buggy

The Drake threw down one heck of a run in the third round of qualifying to secure the top qualifying spot. The conditions at the Silver State got so windy and dusty it actually helped blow off the track. The Drake's TQ time was 16-seconds faster than the early TQ time set by Jared Tebo.
Old 03-08-2008, 11:23 PM
New Media Editor

My Homie!

RJ DeWitt is the reason I don't starve at big RC races. RJ is always cooking something up in the pits. He's basically the Wolfgang Puck of RC. Today we ate hot links, ribs, burritos, and homemade cookies. When we're not chowing down we're watching movies on the flat screen or playing Xbox. RJ, thanks for the grub homie, the vibe in the Always Racing (Upgrade and the gang) pits is one of the reasons why I love covering races.

Old 03-08-2008, 11:30 PM
New Media Editor

Typical Silver State Conditions

The conditions got nasty during the final round of qualifying! If you didn't wear eye protection your eyes would bleed.

Old 03-08-2008, 11:50 PM
New Media Editor

And Finally, Bench Racing Ammo

- At this year's Silver State there wasn't a separate Sportsman/Open class or 40+ class, which I think is a bad idea. I don't believe the privateers that spend thousands of dollars to race big events want to compete against pros that get paid to race.
- "A Sportsman class ruins racing. There won't ever be a Sportsman class at the Silver State again." --race organizer
- Get rid of qualifying! I want to see Maifield, Tebo, Cavalieri, Drake, Truhe, Bradley, Pavidis, and the rest of the A-main guys compete heads up 6 or 8 times over the course of a weekend. Use the Reedy race format and shuffle the racers each round. Don't get me wrong, it's cool to see The Drake or Tebo shred the track and put in a solid qualifying run, but I rather see them battle for 10 minutes heads up...6 or 8 times.
-If you read my blog than you know I've picked Mike Truhe (buggy) and Chad Bradley (truggy) to win this race. We'll see how they both do.
- I do like the two moto style A-mains. Instead of one long 45-minute main event, there will be two 25-minute A-mains for each class. It should be interesting.
Old 03-09-2008, 05:19 PM
New Media Editor

Some photos of the fast guys!

There was a break during the main events for "media hour", which allowed us mag guys a chance to nab some photos of A-main drivers.

Adam Drake and Jared Tebo were the two fastest racers during qualifying. The Drake took top honors in the coveted buggy class, and Tebo was atop the truggy field with his prototype O'Donnell truggy.

Here are the top 10 truggy racers.

Here are the top 9 buggy racers. Kyosho's Taylor Peterson was not present for media hour.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:35 PM
New Media Editor

Tebo Wins Moto 1 Of Truggy!

O'Donnell's Jared Tebo won the first moto (a combined score from 2 25-minute main events like motocross determines the winner) of the truggy class.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:52 PM
Certifiable RC Zone Addict

- At this year's Silver State there wasn't a separate Sportsman/Open class or 40+ class, which I think is a bad idea. I don't believe the privateers that spend thousands of dollars to race big events want to compete against pros that get paid to race.
- "A Sportsman class ruins racing. There won't ever be a Sportsman class at the Silver State again." --race organizer

Interesting... (read: THIS BLOWS!) Its damn near impossible for someone to compete with a group that gets paid to race. Also, how long can this sponsorship bubble last? (really, just a question, not rhetorical at all.)
Old 03-09-2008, 10:47 PM
New Media Editor

Truhe Wins Moto #1 of Buggy!

Losi/GRP's Mike Truhe won the first moto of buggy. TQ The Drake had radio problems and did not start the race. The officials gave the Drake a few minutes to try and fix his buggy, but they proceeded without him. I didn't think it was cool, but several racers wanted the race to start.

One racer shouted, "Start the fu%^ing race!"

"If you state a rule, you gotta enforce it," says Jimmy Babcock.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:36 PM
New Media Editor

Ryan Maifield Wins Truggy!

Team Associated/GRP's Ryan Maifield won truggy with a Kyosho STR-R. It was a battle to the end as Tebo needed to stay in front of Cavalieri to earn second and the overall. Tebo unfortunately rolled it over on the next to last lap when being chased by Cavalieri.
Old 03-10-2008, 12:13 AM
New Media Editor

Losi/GRP's Truhe Wins buggy!

Mike Truhe wins moto #2 to win the overall. Ryan Cavalieri led the race early, but broke with about 7-10 minutes to go.
Old 03-10-2008, 02:59 AM
New Media Editor

Winners

1st) Losi/GRP's Mike Truhe
2nd) Kyosho/Sirio's Cody King
3rd) O'Donnell's Jared Tebo

1st) Associated/GRP's Ryan Maifield
2nd) O'Donnell's Jared Tebo
3rd) Associated/Team Orion's Ryan Cavalieri
Old 03-10-2008, 11:40 AM
Super Moderator

Nice work with covering this race Jason.

Can't believe what happened to Drake. Especially since he was the TQ!!!!! Oh, well...this will sure to be talked about for a long time to come.

Man, those 5Bs must have been quite a sight out on the track. Do you have any more action pics of those bad boys?