Password: Log In:
Radio Control Zone » RC Car Action: Forums » RC Car Action » Hot News and New Stuff Forum Cars, Trucks, Boats » Venom Racing 7.4V Li-Po Packs With Traxxas High Current Connector

Notices

Hot News and New Stuff Forum Cars, Trucks, Boats Up-to-the minute news on the latest kits, RTRs, parts, accessories and more. Be sure to subscribe!

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2008, 01:32 PM

Venom Racing 7.4V Li-Po Packs With Traxxas High Current Connector

Latest from www.venom-racing.com

Sponsored Links

Old 04-11-2008, 09:10 AM

i didn't have a very good experience with about four of their nimh packs, so are their lipo's any good?
Old 04-11-2008, 12:47 PM

Our Lipos have been selected after months of testing everything available to make sure they are best Lipo's we could offer. These Lipo cells can handle true 20C currents for their entire charge giving you about 95% of the rated capacity at full load. The operating temps are in the 120F range when pushed to maximum performance. This is the #1 performance upgrade you can do to any electric car or truck. The weight of the pack compared to Nimh packs is lighter and on average about 30% lighter. The main detail to undertand is that the average voltage of the pack while under load is higher than a typical Nimh pack. That means coupled with lighter weight the higher voltage will make your car/truck/boat/bike faster with no other changes or upgrades.

About your experience with our Nimh packs, if its not too late please contact our customer service dept to see what we can do to help you.

Thanks,

VENOM R&D
Old 04-11-2008, 10:47 PM

I just picked up a 5000mAh Venom Lipo today. Other than the really long wait at 1C charge rate [5.0A], I couldn't be happier. Played all afternoon trying to get my new RJ Speed [Bo-link] Legends car dialed in [with Novak 5.5 Velociti, not racing, just speed run demos], without changing packs, and without any issues. I wasn't too sure about the traxxas connectors, but wired up the GTB with the proper plug to give it a try, and I was impressed. The pack ran cool all day, the connectors never got warm at all.

I left electrics a long time ago due to low run times and having to keep too many packs charged and ready to go, and ran nitro. I'm not going to get rid of my nitro's any time soon, but after seeing that I can run all afternoon at a club race [with a milder and more controllable motor] on one pack and leave my charger at home, it's time to revive some neglected ESC's, motors and models I have on the shelf. A pack each with a LiPo cutoff and I'm going to need a bigger model memory on my transmitter.
Old 04-15-2008, 03:50 PM

If you have a charger that has the proper Lipo charging profile for fast charging then you could charge a bit faster. There are 3 steps in charging a Lipo and the first two are meant to fill up the bucket you could say while the last one is just meant to creep up to the edge with out spilling one drop. You can adjust the rate and monitor it and then return the rate back to 1C before the 3rd phase if you have a higher end charger that shows you what phase its charging in. This is advanced and not recomended for inexperienced Lipo users.
VENOM R&D
Old 04-15-2008, 10:27 PM

I know I could charge at a higher rate with my Duratrax ICE, but I always balance charge, and the inline balancer I'm using isn't rated for more than the 1C rate of the battery anyways.

Could I charge at a higher rate and balance during the final phase? Sure I could, but I feel better knowing all the cells are equally "full" all the time.

Bottom line for me is that with all that run time, I can be patient waiting for the done tone.
Old 04-16-2008, 01:11 PM

Thats why you need two or more packs! One to run, 1 to charge and 1 to rest ready to be charged. You could go drive all day that way.

Lipo cells do not become unbalanced very quickly and when we are talking balance thats within a couple 0.01's of a volt. The best thing to do is to continue to balance charge them as you are doing but if you happen to miss one or two cycles I wouldnt worry about it. Prolonged non balance charging is where you begin to run into the risk of puffing one cell towards the end of a run.
Best to just have a few packs.

VENOM R&D
Old 04-19-2008, 06:22 PM

Mr. Venom :

What are the specs for the Venom Packs (but in the MaxAmps format like this) to compare apples to apples?

http://http://www.maxamps.com/Lipo-6000-74-Pack.htm
20C Constant(120 amps)
30C Sustained(180 amps)
50C Burst(300 amps)
297 grams

Thanks !

Also do you have any info to release about larger size packs like 6k - 8k and 3s packs ? Any plans for a full feature quick charger ?
Old 04-20-2008, 08:46 AM
Certifiable RC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by VENOM RD2 View Post
Our Lipos have been selected after months of testing everything available to make sure they are best Lipo's we could offer. These Lipo cells can handle true 20C currents for their entire charge giving you about 95% of the rated capacity at full load. The operating temps are in the 120F range when pushed to maximum performance. This is the #1 performance upgrade you can do to any electric car or truck. The weight of the pack compared to Nimh packs is lighter and on average about 30% lighter. The main detail to undertand is that the average voltage of the pack while under load is higher than a typical Nimh pack. That means coupled with lighter weight the higher voltage will make your car/truck/boat/bike faster with no other changes or upgrades.

About your experience with our Nimh packs, if its not too late please contact our customer service dept to see what we can do to help you.

Thanks,

VENOM R&D
How many cycles should one expect if pulling 3800 mah at 80 amps from the red pack?
What cell temp and voltage should be expected at the 1 minute and 2 minute mark if pulling 80 amps from the pack?

Thanks, I'm glad you tested rd2 and thanks for being on the forum.
Old 04-20-2008, 12:52 PM
Certifiable RC Addict

What brand of cells are in these packs? Kokams, Enerland, etc?
Old 04-21-2008, 01:52 PM

@ Btrczone06

Our packs can do the following;

2S 5000 mah Green Pack
20C - 100A continuous discharge down to 6V @ about 120F before heatsoak
25C - 125A for about 10 seconds safely

2S 4000mah Red Pack
20C - 80A Continuous "........"
25C - 100A Continuous "......."

2S 3800mah Black Pack
20C - 76A Continuous "......."
25C - 95A Continuous "......."

I'll have to catch up with you on all the weights next post.

We also have a 3S 5400mah pack, 20C rated, and a 3S 4500mah

For larger capacities you can combine packs as you like within the same Mah value.

We have a new alloy feature packed Lipo charger coming out as we speak, more info later.

@ guver

That would be tough to nail down exactly but the best estimates I can give you would be 500+ cycles at full duty like you asked. As for the Voltage under load from testing I would say high 7V's about 7.6-7.8V from memory.

Your welcome!

@Cain
Sorry thats a secret.

VENOM R&D
Old 04-21-2008, 02:55 PM
Certifiable RC Addict

What is the burst rating for your packs?
Old 04-21-2008, 04:32 PM

25C is no problem for a few seconds, pretty normal use. I have tested to 30C bursts, thats not typical in everyday use but the packs can handle that for a short duration spike on power in a high grip situation like carpet tracks.

We dont encourage pushing the packs past their rated 20C duty because then people get the wrong idea thats normal to do. If you plan your set up correctly and watch the temps you will have more than enough power and you dont need to go over the factory C rating. Once in a while you might record a spike over the max rating but not sustained and if you do sustain it there is a problem with the set up and your in danger of puffing the pack.

VENOM R&D
Old 04-21-2008, 04:42 PM

@ guver

The cell temps at those 1 and 2 minute intervals will be in the mid to high 90's to low 100's. If ambient temp is 75 the cells will not waste much time warming themselves up. If its cooler you will see a dip in performance until an average temp of about 80F is reached then the discharge curves take off. Lipos do not like the cold. For my personal use I preheat them to 90F for best results. I test in 20F (minus 12deg F and colder) weather all the time up here so battery temps are very important.

VENOM R&D
Old 04-21-2008, 05:22 PM
Certifiable RC Addict

Got it, I look forward to using/testing them. Thanks for the info, I guess I could've just asked for a graph, right?

Are there any 20C graphs of packs or cells? Thanks.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:42 AM

We dont have a graph to publish at the moment, too much raw data and not very good looking. We will publish more tech info soon though.

VENOM R&D