Password: Log In:

Notices

Hot News and New Stuff Forum Cars, Trucks, Boats Up-to-the minute news on the latest kits, RTRs, parts, accessories and more. Be sure to subscribe!

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2008, 02:51 PM
Certifiable RC Addict

Traxxas' New T-Maxx 3.3

From Traxxas:
The New T-Maxx® 3.3 is the biggest, meanest T-Maxx ever. It’s more of everything that has made the legendary T-Maxx the #1 best-selling nitro monster truck. The new T-Maxx is built bigger with giant, 6.3-inch tall tires and a 30mm longer wheelbase. The huge Maxx® 4x4 stance completely dominates big, rough terrain. The TRX 3.3 Racing Engine is packing more power with a 16% peak power boost from the dyno-tuned aluminum Resonator™ pipe and better breathing from the high-volume dual-stage air filter. The massive wheelies and screaming 45+mph top speed tells you this engine is ready to unlock a whole new level of Extreme Power and monster-thrashing fun. The new T-Maxx 3.3 driveline is refined and strengthened with Revo®-Spec sealed front and rear differentials and beefy center driveshafts. A powerful digital high-torque servo drives the new bellcrank steering system with an integrated servo saver. The forward-only two-speed tranny is super strong with low-mass internals for high-revving performance. And of course, it’s built Traxxas Tough! Traxxas engineers strengthened critical areas to further enhance the legendary toughness. Meaty new chassis braces and an all-new skid plate add rock-solid rigidity. The new T-Maxx 3.3 is the next BIG thing in high-flying monster truck fun.

New T-Maxx 3.3 Features:
• Tall 6.3" all-terrain Maxx®-sized tires mounted on
3.8" mirror-chrome Hurricane™ wheels
• Maxx® Resonator™ dyno-tuned dual-chamber pipe
• Large, high-volume dual-stage air filter
• +30mm extended wheelbase aluminum chassis
• Heavy-duty chassis braces & transmission skid plate
• Sealed, tunable limited-slip differentials
• Heavy-duty bellcrank steering system with an
integrated servo saver
• Digital high-torque steering servo delivers
125 oz-in of torque with a 0.16-sec transit time
• Revo®-Spec forward-only, autoshifting two-speed transmission
• Critical chassis and driveline components optimized for strength and reliability
• Dependable double-shear connections used on all pivot points
• Tough new body with blazing graphics
Additional Features:
• TRX 3.3 Racing Engine with EZ-Start
• Torque-Control slipper & powerful 42mm disc brake
• Strengthened bulkheads with steel X-braces
• Revo-Spec sealed drivetrain & pivot ball suspension
• Rubber-sealed ball bearings & full hex hardware
• Eight oil-filled Ultra Shocks™
• Adjustable four-position wheelie bar

Last edited by MattHiggins; 04-03-2008 at 03:09 PM.
Sponsored Links

Old 04-03-2008, 03:12 PM
Certifiable RC Addict

Dear Traxxas,

Please quit using grey parts that make the truck look like a cheap toy. Go back to black.

Reviewing the bold highlights...... They made 16% more power from an air filter and a muffler? I suspect it was mostly in the air filter, given the old 2.5 filter they sell on the current and past 3.3's likely choke them to death.

Revo diffs suppose that is a viable upgrade since I used to always shear the rear pinion in my old maxx. Nicely done.

Bigger tires are a good option, this is not a race truck.

FOC - negative, boo hiss. You just added BIGGER TIRES to the truck to make it a better basher and then took reverse out. *smacks head*
Old 04-03-2008, 03:53 PM
Certifiable RC Addict

Wow! A NEW old T-maxx!

I see a trend here...HPI revised/upgrade their Savage...Traxxas does the same.

When will it ever end? When will they just produce a totally new one?
Old 04-03-2008, 04:03 PM

It is entirely possible that I am biased in my opinions pertaining to the HPI Savage and Traxxas T-maxx, but I don't necessarily see anything wrong re-releasing the T-maxx several times, and let me explain why. When HPI released the Savage, it had a few innovative and special features, but it was a relatively short-lived success story due not in small part because it's a bear to work on. The Savage X addressed some of the problems, but it still sucks to work on, and no amount of re-engineering can fix it -- you need an all-new chassis. HPI has yet to release a new full-on monster to either replace or offer another vehicle to run along side the Savage.

The T-maxx was completely innovative at the time and is a low-cost alterative to the Revo, which is a better truck in general. However, the T-maxx is more of a 'fun' truck which still provides a fantastic entry-level truck for many enthusiasts. It is easy to work on and has undergone several MAJOR upgrades. It may not have the best bulkheads, but there is no arguing it is a special truck, which is why Traxxas can continue to sell piles of them.

Here's the link to the promo page which skips the arguably annoying vid:
http://www.traxxas.com/products/nitr...908-intro1.htm
Old 04-03-2008, 04:41 PM

If Traxxas is smart they will offer this Maxx as a kit and a RTR.
TRAXXAS MAKE SOME KITS!
Kits are cool
Old 04-03-2008, 05:26 PM

I'm not all hardcore, diehard into the T-MAXX or anything but I am somewhat familar with them and I don't really see anything that much different. I'm actually suprised it didn't get a big engine upgrade or something major like that.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:26 PM

i just bought a 3.3 saturday!!! damnit
Old 04-03-2008, 10:14 PM

Video!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=m2_BawG3f7U
Old 04-03-2008, 10:19 PM
Certifiable RC Addict

I like it. FOC is no big deal. I bash with mine an only used it once or twice before I pulled it. Nice truck.

Matt
Old 04-03-2008, 11:36 PM

Wow. Didn't see that one coming.
Looks good! Would be nice to have left the reverse in there. The one they really need to offer with an FOC is the 2.5. Longer wheelbase, good pipe, better steering servo. Hell yeah!
-Eric
Old 04-04-2008, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauling View Post
If Traxxas is smart they will offer this Maxx as a kit and a RTR.
TRAXXAS MAKE SOME KITS!
Kits are cool
X2!!! All of their models should avail. as kits!! AND WHERE IS A B.L. REVO????

If Traxxas was really smart they would make a solid axle MT to compete with the likes of HPI's Wheely king, Axial Ax10. Crawling is sooo hot right now and traxxas has nothing in that category.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:15 AM

This stuff drives me nuts!!! I am not a Traxxas disciple by any means, but everytime they release something I always see posts that say Oh this is just a rehash of what is already out there. What company doesn't do this? Associated releases the B3 then the B4 and the revisions are subtle at best. They then get praised all over for increasing this angle by 2 degrees and increasing that length by 2mm. These are Tiny changes that people make a big deal about. When traxxas does things like that people just start complaining about how all the changes are really small. I have news for you innovation is usually the culmination of small changes that add up to HUGE benefits.

Ok I am done.
Old 04-04-2008, 02:06 PM

How is someone supposed to distinguish between the old 3.3 and the new one if they are buying one? Is it going to say "new" 3.3 on the box or are they going to call it something entirely different. Like 3.3 v2? I know it will replace the old one, but it will be confusing for someone during the transition stage between the two.
Old 04-04-2008, 04:50 PM

wow! thats's cool! hopefully it comes out whem my rebate check comes!!
Old 04-04-2008, 06:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveo View Post
This stuff drives me nuts!!! I am not a Traxxas disciple by any means, but everytime they release something I always see posts that say Oh this is just a rehash of what is already out there. What company doesn't do this? Associated releases the B3 then the B4 and the revisions are subtle at best. They then get praised all over for increasing this angle by 2 degrees and increasing that length by 2mm. These are Tiny changes that people make a big deal about. When traxxas does things like that people just start complaining about how all the changes are really small. I have news for you innovation is usually the culmination of small changes that add up to HUGE benefits.

Ok I am done.
AMEN to that!!! People here expect TOO MUCH from any of the RC companies!!! GEEZ man my 09 Sierra is a rehash or better version of my old 89 Sierra.....AND WHO CARES IF IT IS!!!! if you want it get it but Traxxas isnt the antichrist for revamping the Tmaxx a LITTLE and releasing what will undoubtedly be a big seller as all the others have been!!!

I agree with this post 100%...if you dont like it DONT GET IT!!!!
Old 04-04-2008, 09:10 PM

Exactly, They have been making Mustangs, Corvette's, and everything else for 40+ years. Guess what, stuff gets updated. Good for Traxxas. This looks like a great truck. Mark me down for one.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:16 PM

Yeah, I love all the "if Traxxas was smart" comments! LMAO, yeah, if only Traxxas was smart! Gee lets see, not a monster truck worth a snot until Traxxas showed how it was done with the T-Maxx, then they outdid theirselves, (since no-one else could) and came out with the Revo!
Lets see, then they stuffed a 3.3 in a 2speed stadium style truck called the Jato and clicked off 65mph runs in your neighborhood!

Sorry they can't release a Brand New, from scratch, from the ground up designed truck each month!

Oh well, maybe they will learn stuff and end up smart after all!
Old 04-05-2008, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrorulz View Post
Yeah, I love all the "if Traxxas was smart" comments! LMAO, yeah, if only Traxxas was smart! Gee lets see, not a monster truck worth a snot until Traxxas showed how it was done with the T-Maxx, then they outdid theirselves, (since no-one else could) and came out with the Revo!
Lets see, then they stuffed a 3.3 in a 2speed stadium style truck called the Jato and clicked off 65mph runs in your neighborhood!

Sorry they can't release a Brand New, from scratch, from the ground up designed truck each month!

Oh well, maybe they will learn stuff and end up smart after all!

Just for the record this is my fleet:

Traxxas Stampede (old Xl-1 vers. but highly moded now)

Traxxas T-maxx 2.5 (many hop-ups etc)

Traxxas Rustler Xl-10 (setup to be waterproof)

Traxxas E-Maxx 16.8v ( mostly stock ex. shocks+springs.)

Tamiya Midnight pumpkin (shelf king)

Hpi Wheely King (highly moded for crawling)

As you can tell I like Traxxas stuff, all I'm sying is that it would be great for a few new vehicles to be added to their lineup. (they could never release a new model every month!!)
It's great they did this to the T-Maxx 3.3, I may even get one w/stimulus $$.
I think everyone, including myself, cannot wait for a B.L. Revo.
I am glad that Traxxas keeps most of it models "alive" & upgradeable to the newer versions.
Old 04-06-2008, 12:57 PM

I do understand what you are saying, but alot of people have alot of ideas of what they want! Some say Traxxas needs a 1/18th size electric, some say a 1/16th nitro. Others say a e-Revo. I've heard some say more cars, not trucks. Everyone thinks they are right! Yeah, I'd like a few more new vehicles from the big T, but its harder than some think to come out with a whole new item!

It must be a well designed, well priced, well marketed hit! If not, it will loose huge money for that company! Its not to say they are safe to never come out with new things, but just not like some think they can. Some think its just a very simple thing, when its absolutely not. Why not re-do the T-Maxx some? Are there those who think its already outdated? If you do, then you don't know much about the business side of it all!

T-maxx's still sell like hotcakes! I know, I own a well ran R/C hobby shop that specialize's 90% in Monster Trucks only. Yes, mainly Traxxas, but not all Traxxas. I stock what sells, and my customers absolutely buy and love T-Maxx's and Revo's. I know my shop by far isn't the only one seeing that!

When the first gen Maxx came out, it set the R/C world on fire, then the gen2 came out, and wow, what a power increase to go with all the other things the Maxx had going for it. The 3.3 brought alot more innovated stuff with it other than just the engine. Now, while most companies are still playing catch up to the Maxx, Traxxas has seen other items that could be improved, and did it!

I always say, if the company whats to improve on that item, so be it. If that doesn't appeal to some, they can always buy someone else's R/C!
Old 04-08-2008, 10:21 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTE214 View Post
How is someone supposed to distinguish between the old 3.3 and the new one if they are buying one? Is it going to say "new" 3.3 on the box or are they going to call it something entirely different. Like 3.3 v2? I know it will replace the old one, but it will be confusing for someone during the transition stage between the two.
The way to tell the differance is the brand new T-maxx 3.3 is item #4908.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTE214 View Post
#4909 is the regular 3.3 and #4910 is the 2.5R. And so on.
Old 04-09-2008, 03:52 PM
Certifiable RC Addict

No, Traxxas would never think of changing the box for an updated truck. They never do that. lol

Matt
Old 04-09-2008, 07:55 PM
Got Baja?

Looks good, but I have a question. Why do this with the Maxx platform rather than the Revo platform? There is only about a $50 price difference between the current 3.3 Maxx and Revo, and I'm guessing most of that difference will disappear with this update to the Maxx. The Maxx is an outdated platform and should be retired IMO, but it's not going to be, so the least they could do is keep it around as a budget option. I could be wrong, but I bet this thing sells for right about the same price as a 3.3 Revo. The tires on this thing look badass and will probably work well, but other than that, what does this have that would sway you to buy this over a Revo? If you've done your homework you know the Revo is FAR tougher, better handling, better built truck. The most important of those things is the toughness, and that's where the biggest difference is between the Maxx and Revo platforms. Traxxas did a nice job with this makeover...I might buy that wheel/tire combo for my E-Maxx...but why in the world would you buy one of these when you could have a 3.3 Revo for the same money?

"Everything in moderation, including moderation."
Old 04-10-2008, 02:39 AM

Smile t-maxx vs revo?????????

revos are for the track and not fun as bashers.it would look stupid with a parma gravedigger body on it too.the t-maxx is a real monster truck that with some tuning this new one can be a threat on the track.my user name means i race t-maxxes.i have two dace preditor t-maxxes and have out ran many revos.my thoughts on the new race revo is nice but i bought a RTR losi 8ight for under the cost of this new revo (and still need a starter box and radio 200 dollars more at least).i have way more fun racing with my 8ight on the track and would blow the doors off the new revo if they were in a race together.this is why we have different classes....kids.they should have just designed a big-block truggy with revo suspension,that would be cool.and i would buy that!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by dacemaxx111; 04-10-2008 at 02:40 AM. Reason: grammer
Old 04-10-2008, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalry101 View Post
Looks good, but I have a question. Why do this with the Maxx platform rather than the Revo platform? There is only about a $50 price difference between the current 3.3 Maxx and Revo, and I'm guessing most of that difference will disappear with this update to the Maxx. The Maxx is an outdated platform and should be retired IMO, but it's not going to be, so the least they could do is keep it around as a budget option. I could be wrong, but I bet this thing sells for right about the same price as a 3.3 Revo. The tires on this thing look badass and will probably work well, but other than that, what does this have that would sway you to buy this over a Revo? If you've done your homework you know the Revo is FAR tougher, better handling, better built truck. The most important of those things is the toughness, and that's where the biggest difference is between the Maxx and Revo platforms. Traxxas did a nice job with this makeover...I might buy that wheel/tire combo for my E-Maxx...but why in the world would you buy one of these when you could have a 3.3 Revo for the same money?
I hate to point out a flaw in your logic, but I just checked Tower Hobbies, and they list the new (4908) TMaxx at $399. Compared to the Revo 3.3 at %515, that's a lot more than $50 difference. And, as a note, it's listed as being cheaper, yep, cheaper than the existing TM3.3 which shows at $440. I'm sure there are other deals to be had, but since Tower seems to serve as a decent price barometer, that's a good place to start anyway.

As for retiring it, why would they? I mean really...it's been out for years...the aftermarket is still going strong, and since things are largely compatible with earlier Maxx versions, they can put out a new one and have instant aftermarket/hop-up support. I think they've done a great job of keeping the TM relevant and relatively cost-effective.