Password: Log In:

Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2008, 03:32 AM

Blew my CEN 775 on 16 cells :(

Well I tried to push the limits of my CEN Waveshark with 14 cells and couldn't resist wiring up a 16 cell set....and man did it FLY!!!!!!!! This thing was insane and lasted all of 4 minutes... esc was barely warm and the cells weren't even that hot....but my stock CEN 775 motor was toasty...

Anyways so now I'm thinking about what to do next...

-build up another more bullet proof 700+ size brushed motor setup with my Jeti Navy on 16 cells

or

-sticking with a 12 cell setup just to keep things light and running a brushless 2300 - 2600kv setup

Which is more likely to be faster? More reliable? Less maintenance? (keep in mind this'll be my first brushless setup)

Thanks again!

p.s. would a thrust bearing possibly have saved my motor from frying?
Sponsored Links

Old 08-26-2008, 08:28 AM

Cooked 700

Hi
I have a Cen 775 motor. It came with a Gray Thunder I still have. I have experimented with a large number of 700 type motors. The Cen 775 is ok for modest speed but not close to the top of the line in 700s. Even a Graupner 8.4 will give more speed . Of whats now still available the 700sc would be your best shot at more speed . It is faster and can take more abuse than the Cen775. You would likely go as fast with fewer cells. The 700sc could last a long time on 14 cells. Especially if water cooled.
Brushless could work too but, the guys are burning them up at fantastic rates . Hard to know how far you can push this stuff.
n.h.schmidt
Old 08-28-2008, 10:16 PM

I've decided to go brushless....is the following a good brushless setup...

Brushless 8XL with cooling jacket

Mystery 100A ESC

Also, will I need to add some sort of cooling jacket/plate to the Mystery 100A ESC?

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-09-2008, 07:33 AM

Cool

Quote:
Brushless could work too but, the guys are burning them up at fantastic rates...
I'm not certain who is burning up what exactly, but you can burn up anything if you push it too hard. All it takes is a little experience from others to find out how hard you can push BL equipment - excepting brand new introductions of course.

The 8XL motor in the link is too hot for the OP's boat, it will overheat the cells and the ESC. The same brand in a 10XL would be more appropriate and give about the same speed.

He will need to experiment with different props to get the best performance. As he found out, simply adding cells is not the way to go. Had he put on a smaller prop at the same time he added the 4 cells the boat would have been faster and the motor would have lasted longer - a little longer anyway.

The ESC is "okay" with the milder motor. Some have watercooled it, but if it is run within its limits it will be fine. Check the temps after a run and if it is over 140F prop down or shorten the run times.

Old 09-14-2008, 09:35 AM

Burning Bl motors

Ok I will elaborate on the burning up bl motors. It mostly is happening with nubes to RC boating .They often buy these China made monos with little bitty outrunner motors in them. The price is attractive and they are fast for about one or two laps on the pond. They quickly burn up and have to rebuild to something more survivable . Its way too easy to look at just the kv of the motor and choose the wrong one.
n.h.schmidt