Password: Log In:

Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2012, 10:31 AM
Certifiable RC Addict

My new XO-1

Received my XO1 today... I was very excited.

I get home, unpack it and I was eager to get going. But I wanted to do a few changes first. I wanted to put my 21 pinion in, I figured it would be a nice middle ground between stock and that crazy looking 34.

While waiting for the batteries to charge I put a single 3s in it and drove it around the house at walking speed. Big turning radius on this. I picked it up and revved it for the wife to show her the telemetry, and noticed the wheels shaking.

I balanced the wheels, then decided to put my gyro in it. Quick check of all the screws, installed the front splitter and I'm RTR. I headed out for a test run, still in locked mode.

Car drives fantastic! Needed a bit more front preload. Had to dial the gain down a touch on the gyro, but it tracks straight, I can get into the throttle deep and it just blasts down the street.

Then I worked on braking, too much. Slid the adjustment down to 50%, too little! Back to 68 ish, now I've got nice smooth brakes. Steering was way touchy at speed, so I added in some expo. The radio is just a pleasure to make adjustments on. I love seeing the volts and temprature. Although...

The temprature is just the surface temp. If you do a run then stop, it'll rise while the car is just sitting there. Blast down the street, and the temps drop quickly.. but the rotor is still holding heat. You can't expect the actual internal temps to move that quickly.

The speed limiter is funny, it cuts the throttle like a rev limiter on a full size motor. So it bounces off the limiter, sounds like I'm pedaling the throttle, zing zing zing! Whats weird is it claimed 70 mph locked, then I unlock it, and it goes faster, but still says 70 mph... I like the tachometer, but the speed is nonsense, I'll be getting the GPS for actual speed.

I'll be suspicious of any high top speed claims without the GPS. But it sure seems stable enough to hit ridiculous speeds.

The car understeers, so I'll be thickening up that rear diff soon. Stiffer springs would be nice, but I might just start with oil.

Traxxas did redesign their hexes, they don't have the same slop as the ERBE. The steering looks better, but turns sharper to one side than the other.

Neither of my turnigy packs are a straight drop in. Its too early to take the dremel to the car, so I'm running stock batteries for now. It could use some lights.

All in all I'm very impressed, and I'll probably jump up to the 34 pinion soon. The gyro keeps things straight, I can go full throttle and full brake at speed without drama.

Big thumbs up to Traxxas on this one. A little overpriced, but a heck of a car.

Last edited by ducati777; 01-27-2012 at 10:19 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ducati777 For This Useful Post:
Admin2 (01-27-2012), kwkride (01-27-2012), Lille Buller (01-31-2012), rccardude04 (01-28-2012)
Sponsored Links

Old 01-27-2012, 01:01 PM
Certifiable RC Addict

Nice write-up! Defintely a good looking ride, even with the "generic" body.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:05 PM
Administrator

Thanks for sharing this write up on your experience with this car!
Old 01-29-2012, 08:00 PM
Certifiable RC Addict

Any thoughts of getting a different body to fit? Are there even any choices out there for different stuff?
Old 01-30-2012, 12:36 PM
Certifiable RC Addict

Nope your options are limited. The car is a standard width, same width as any SC truck, and most 1/8th scale GP cars, but its LONG.... too long to make any aftermarket bodies fit right.

Wheels are the same way right now, I'm going to experiment with some buggy sized tires, but the car is really made for these funny sized tires.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:53 PM

Does look cool is there any videos coming?
Old 02-01-2012, 11:26 AM
Certifiable RC Addict

You mean in addition to the video I posted already?

Shrug. You can check my youtube channel, its full of rc videos. I haven't had time to shoot anything decent with the XO. Its a real double edged sword, my buddy and I like to shoot video, but then it changes how we bash. Its like it adds stress to bashing, you don't want to drop an F bomb on camera, and you want the car to be doing something cool, and you gotta think about the frame of the shot....

Lately I've just been driving. The heck with all that, I wanna go fast!
Old 02-05-2012, 10:13 AM

So after having the XO for a bit do you think it could race with the 1/8 scale cars or is it just meant to just go fast in a straight line?
Old 02-07-2012, 11:34 AM
Certifiable RC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberwolf211 View Post
So after having the XO for a bit do you think it could race with the 1/8 scale cars or is it just meant to just go fast in a straight line?
This questions gets asked a lot... I feel like the XO is a very misunderstood car in this regard.

It really does corner... the downforce it generates lets it really hang a corner hard. HOWEVER.... there's a catch. You can't let it get out of line, if the tail end comes out, it disrupts the airflow and you lose that downforce. It also has so much power that its very easy to get wheel spin and get out of line... It feels like Traxxas put a bunch of punch control into it, which makes for a peaky powerband. Getting to 50 is easy, beyond that you need som finesse.

I think that makes for a great challenge, because it just begs you to take it to the edge. But it covers ground so quickly that when it gets away from you, things usually go very badly...

I've put mine into water twice. It survived the first time, and I'm letting it dry out for a few days now...

I really like the car, but it can be a handful. But thats to be expected from a lightweight car with a 1717 motor on 6s... it sticks better at speed, which encourages speed, which makes wrecking even worse... its a cycle of destruction!

My only complaint right now is that its not a standard size, so I feel like my hands are tied on parts selection. I'm sure that will get better over time as the aftermarket comes in to support it.

The front splitter is vunerable, I'm hoping RPM comes up with some more flexible and durable options.

I can't wait for Castle Link Live. Its annoying that the car came out before the support... but CLL supposedly will let us program the ESC, on the fly, from the radio (using the iphone)... It'll be so cool to be able to dial in the ESC with tiny adjustments during a run. Castle implied the ESC has data logging too, I've never had a ESC that could do that... but we won't know until CC gets going with their software updates.

Definately a misunderstood car. It really is a car for "experts", I think what we have right now is a lot of people bought it for the 100 mph claim, and haven't really explored the rest of its capabilities.

Last edited by ducati777; 02-07-2012 at 11:41 AM.