Password: Log In:

Notices

Monster Trucks Discussion and questions related to monster trucks electric and nitro.

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2012, 12:52 AM

The worst RC built.

We always hear about the latest and greatest, and the best of all time. I am curious about the worst monster truck(s) of all time. I will start with my pick.

Tamiya Terra Crusher - transmission died pulling it out of the box.

Original Losi Mini LST - broke the rear pinion 1 minute into its first drive. Still running the original steering servos! At least the LST lasted 1 min longer than my Terra Crusher LOL.

Sponsored Links

Old 01-14-2012, 01:31 PM

My personal worst is the Duratrax Mini-Quake, a 1/18th scale, 4x4, mini-monster truck dabaucle! Stripped plastic bevel gears and lost a dog-bone on first run...replaced with upgrade parts. ESC caught fire (!) on second run...Duratrax replaced under warranty with a glitchy, faulty, P.O.S. esc. Lost a front wheel because they're held on with 3mm phillips screws (seriously, that's the best they could do?)...fixed with Locktite...a few times. It has spent the last few years just sitting at the bottom of a box of other RC junk...sigh...maybe the time's coming for a little "Frankenstiening."
Old 01-14-2012, 08:04 PM

My Terra Crushers just sit and collect dust. Gonna throw in an 1/8 scale center in it some how one day, and try from there. The Mini LST has gotten better with the availability of the metal geared viscous diffs, but it still breaks the pin and o-ring that holds the side gear in the differential. JB weld to the rescue here! Also I saw in RCCA on how to put a T-Maxx transmission in a Terra Crusher.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:12 PM

Kyosho EP USA 1 $ 200.00 truck with plastic drive shafts...
Old 01-17-2012, 11:40 PM

I remember the EP USA 1. Looked cool but always wanted a Double Dare. I got my Clod now!
Old 02-20-2012, 08:44 PM

My worst ever expierences were from the Losi Mini LST's. My first one, motor burned out then the servo flat gave out! Then, my Mini LST twin motor blew its servo gears second day of owning! The servos seems to small and weak. Best one, Team Assoc. RC18T.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:12 PM

In my experience, the T-Maxx. I never owned one, but my friends had to repair them every time they ran and they abused them less than I abused my Revo.

I know that's not going to be a population response and I'll take heat for it, but I stand by it.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
Old 02-21-2012, 09:49 AM
Certifiable RC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD904 View Post
My worst ever expierences were from the Losi Mini LST's. My first one, motor burned out then the servo flat gave out! Then, my Mini LST twin motor blew its servo gears second day of owning! The servos seems to small and weak.
Ditto, almost exactly though I blew the rear diff on the first pack. Then a servo, then a motor. Duratrax Maximum MT/ST would be close seconds.

Funny, my T-maxx was one of my most reliable trucks. Still have my OG Pro-.15 Maxx in running condition....truck just will not die.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:52 PM

Wow, memory flash...I had a TMaxx 2.5...NEVER ran right. I eventually tried re-sealing the engine...worked for a little while, then no good. My Nitro Hawk with a Pro .15 always ran better. 'Nother personal worst: the Marui Big Bear. Super cool looking monster truck (in the 80's), but was a 2wd/broke-almost-every-time-I-bashed-it-nightmare! I think I replaced the chassis no fewer than four times...I hope that truck burns in Hell!

P.S.: sorry for the second entry, but I really like this thread! Great idea, Ultimaxx!!
Old 02-22-2012, 12:55 AM

I would also have to agree with the T-Maxx. It was a great start for the new wave monster trucks today, but it was always breaking. I don't know how many times a week customers would bring their trucks into the shop needing it fixed. My dad has one now, and it breaks everytime he takes it out. He hit a mail box the other day, dead on the bumper, at no more than 3 miles an hour, and the bumper broke completely off, the bulkheads snapped in two, and his a-arms broke. I couldn't believe it! I had my savage out the same day with him, and I did a cart wheel off a jump at like 30 MPH, and nothing happened!!! I told him we need to get rid of it and get him a Savage!
Old 03-29-2012, 07:54 PM

The T-maxx hasnt been horrible, infact ive had more fun with mine instead of fixing it, but Traxxas's weak link with these truck's would be that danm TRX2.5. Worst engine EVER! Always gave me a hard time tuning it, and in less then a year and almost a gallon of fuel, it lost too much compression to run right. Ive since bought a 3.5 and am much happeir with it. Takes a real beating. The downside to the T-maxx though is the Mechanical Reverse. Even with the arm pushed in all the way, it still wants to go reverse. Need to figure that one out...
Old 04-01-2012, 02:59 AM

Thumbs down

Hey guys glad to see people like this thread. I have read the latest replies and I am surprised, about how some people have the same issues. I to have had my share of problems with some of the mentioned vehicles.

My T-Maxx .15 has been a great truck to me. I cannot say much about the pro .15 I had in it, but the pro .15 I had in my Stampede was one of the best pro .15s I ever had. I think it was a hit or miss with some engines. I also have a 2.5 that has been great and it is on its second piston and sleeve after about 5 gallons or so. I also have an original OS CZ .12 in my Kyosho MKII Stinger that is still going strong and is all original right down to the original tires. There has got to be at least 6 gallons of every kind of 20% fuel through it.

The biggest problem I encounter with poor running nitro engines is and was air leaks. I would get air leaks in the engine, fuel tank and fuel lines. Sometimes all at once. Also glow plugs...glow plugs, glow plugs, and more glow plugs. These things are expensive to me. Kinda hard to keep those things in my tool box, when I have too many nitro engines to run all the time. It kinda sux because usually when I play with one of my trucks, I will run it for 5 to 6 tanks and then lube the engine and put it away and not use it for a few weeks because, I would grab another vehicle to run around and bash on. Since the electric craze has hit the hobby again, my glow plug collection is getting bigger...thank god! Gotta remember to take better care of my lipos.

Anyways guys, I hope to hear more about the issues you have with other models. I hope more manufactures take notice in what is good and not good in our hobby. Maybe do more long term testing of the products. I kind of don't agree with test a brand new part and putting it through the "ringer" all at once but instead do long term durability test on their products. So thats it from me for now. Have fun and try not to break nothing!
Old 04-02-2012, 06:35 PM

So today I finally dug the old Duratrax Mini Quake out of the bottom of a box it's been in for awhile (year plus). I decided to check around online and see what these things were going for when i came across the Big Squid review of it. I read the review, and decided to give it another try. I rerouted all the wires away from the electronics (as much as one can in an 18th scale), replaced the receiver with a known good AM receiver, charged up the battery, and voila...still glitchy, crappy, short-ranged, and slams into reverse randomly.

At this point I must assume any sane person would just give up, but I was bored, and so tried another fix. I have a BX Pro waiting on parts, so I robbed the 2.4Ghz receiver out of it, and put it into the Mini Quake. Also remembering losing the wheel once or twice, I thread locked the wheel screws. Holee crap! The truck now operates as it should have from the beginning! All this time I have been letting the truck sit, thinking it was total junk and a waste of time, when all I had to do was replace a crappy radio system with my Futaba 4PL 2.4 Ghz system (which retailed for almost 3 times what I suspect the truck cost).

Long story short: while I think Duratrax makes a good product (My Evader DT and BX Pro being two of my favorite cars to drive), I have to fault them for using such a crappy radio system, and knowing it. I can't be the only person who found the truck undrivable in stock configuration. What a shame, even tho it works now and is fun to drive, it's still pretty near the top of my "Worst Ever" list...sorry about the rant. Stepping down off soap-box now...
Old 04-02-2012, 10:48 PM

How many more "worst trucks" out there? What have you done to make your worst truck enjoyable?
Old 04-03-2012, 08:18 PM

I made an EMAXX, running a Titan 775 out of the crappy TMAXX 2.5. Love it now!
Old 04-04-2012, 02:06 PM

I would also have to say my original t-maxx. Came out of the box with the underpowered overheating pro 15 that traxxas replaced for free. It ran so horribly that i sold the pro 15 and put a hpi 18ss on it, which actually ran good. Still underpowered for such a big truck. ruined driveshafts constantly. only became reliable when 90% of the truck was aftermarket with a dynamite 26 conversion and rpm suspension... Still broke something every time out... if it wasnt stripping half shafts it was breaking forward reverse gears or ruining diff gears. you said the kyosho is a 200$ truck with plastic drive shafts, well the tmaxx was a 400$ truck with plastic drive shafts. My savage, nitro quake, even my ek4 with a .70 collectively break less parts than my tmaxx did by itself.. and all that i listed are more fun to drive than the tmaxx. Even though traxxas has redesigned the truck a ton of times, id never get another traxxas vehicle. It just ruined them for me.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:04 PM
Certifiable RC Addict

Duratrax mini-quake for me. :/
Old 05-06-2012, 02:00 PM

Trinity Spyder Monster truck....horrible design and engineering, poor materials (spur and clutch bell strip in less than half a tank), NO parts support.
For mini's.....Mini LST.....Diffs WAY to weak for the truck and "wonder steer".....crappy servo's, leaking shocks.....the list goes on.
Crawlers....the Losi Comp Crawler....poorly built, bad designed locked diffs, mis-machined gears.
Old 05-19-2013, 01:53 AM

Great idea for a thread. As much as I would love to be able to contribute a helpful story i've only ever had a GT2. Which i adore. However i was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the 2.5R? Cause i have one in my GT2 and i haven't ever had a problem with it, infact i love it.
Old 05-20-2013, 01:00 PM
Certifiable RC Addict

Bad RC's in my view are RC's with inadequate drivelines. I can deal with a moody nitro, but once I get it running, it better not break under it's own weight. It's been a common theme, crap drivelines I mean. I can think of several rigs that I've given up on because of it.

My ERBE is borderline. I replaced the rear diff recently, next run out I lose power to the rear again. I opened up the diff, ready to be mad that I had just replaced it, and it's fine... I spun the hex inside the wheel.

XTM Terminator was retired due to diff issues. No name onroad car, RC18T, tmaxx, frog, older 4tec, all retired due to crap drivelines.

Thankfully with brushless motors being popular, the manufacturers are finally starting to put decent setups in cars. My Slash can take all sorts of power, the XO-1 seems solid, never had an issue with SC10, but it doesn't run much power. Driveline fears are keeping me away from the Losi 5. It may be fine, at 1700 bucks it better be rock solid... but I'm not sure. That would sure ruin the experience.

The best cars out there have long travel, plush suspensions, and a driveline that can take a 50mph motor setup.