Password: Log In:

Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2012, 03:49 PM
HOOH HUAH HOOH! Aww Baby!

Guess I should give a few updates now that I have a little time.

Here's how I adapted the CJ7 master clutch cylinder to the TJ factory master housing, just welded some studs on the housing (bracket) and gave it a little massage so it would fit.

CJ7 4.2 clutch release (throwout) bearing, the short one, versus the taller stock ax15 4.0 unit

quick bracket I made for the clutch slave cylinder, thanks to Alxj64 for the inspiration and the idea

This is the bar pin that I modified to extend the CJ master cylinder push rod to the clutch pedal. Might replace it later on but this was quick and easy. One hole is 1/2" the other is 7/16" for reference

Here you can see the relation of the new CJ master and the CJ slave cylinder, you'll need about 45" of line but 50-52" is what can work. I used a off the shelf line from O'Reillys that was already flared and ready to go, part number PA-451.

Stock master system has the sensor on it for the clutch (red wire insulation). If you don't want to have to push in the clutch to start the 4.0, just cut off the end that goes over the push rod and splice the wires together. Let's the engine think the clutch is pushed in. Previous owner did this for his wife when she had the jeep and it's convenient and also it's difficult to adapt the sensor to the CJ master.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:02 PM

Going back to the frame cut, I then used the bent plate and fitted it to the frame. Cut the excess off and welded it in. Flapped one side, not sure if I like the smooth or welded look yet but they don't look bad. I had to grind out the welds a few times because something was contaminating the welds. Thought it was the plasma dross but I had cleaned it up and wire wheeled it. So be warned, there's something about this part of the frame that doesn't like to be welded up and down. The top and bottom (upside down) welds were great and even easy compared to the sides.

Then I bent the tube, notched it on one side, cut the other, and added the plates and tube tie ins. Added the shock mounts (posted the welds previously) and then painted it. Well, the girlfriend came down and painted it, so that's why it actually looks good.

Then I put it back on the frame and welded it in place

The driver's hoop actually goes around the fuel tube and it all fits. Here is a shock with the 11" BBCS from Poly Performance

The other side, you can really see how it all comes together here. I really like how these came out.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:13 PM

Next I just started finishing little things that usually take up the most time (it seems).

Fabbed a battery hold down from 1/8" aluminum, I'll get a shot of it holding my optima

cut the 300 shift rails

fabbed a shift box, lower part will be getting cut off and redesigned, I hate it right now

Buttoned up the 300 but it still has some small leaks I need to take care of, nothing big just minor stuff, then bench test the shifters

Got the billet pitman arm back but forgot to take a pic of it. I will NEVER go back to the machine shop I took it to. It's a different shop than where I went for the 300 because those guys didn't have a reamer. They charged me $27 to ream out the arm, a 10 minute job, and took 6 days. Capital Machine in Olympia, do NOT go there!

Still have a list of things to do but should be done and on the road in about two weeks I think. School is hitting that time of the year (projects and papers) and I just started a part time job so it will be tough to get in the garage but all the hard stuff is done for the most part.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:24 PM

maybe its just the pictures but it looks like its going to be tight in the wheel well when the tire is stuffed. are you worried about your tire contacting the shock hoop?

the frame notch turned out clean, i think the smooth welds look

since this weekend is going to be nice im going to take advantage of the weather and install the locker/rebuild the front axle tomorrow and take care of the trans/ t case on sunday. a co worker and some of his friends are going up to walker tomorrow. ive been really itching to go wheeling but i also want to get the yota ready so i chose to work on it rather then wheel this weekend. as long as i get everything done this weekend i want to take the yota up to walker next weekend. It still needs a winch motor (hopefully thats the issue), and the top end gone through but its not enough to keep me from having some fun in it. I could always pull the winch out of the jeep for now if need be.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:56 PM

i snapped a few pictures while tearing the front end apart and when i disassembled/reassembled the third member. The only part that gave me a little trouble was the roll pin that holds the cross pin in the carrier. The front axle should be good to go for a long time now i hope. I replaced the inner axle seals with some heavy duty ones from trail gear. I also used their heavy duty uhmw wiper seals that should NEVER leak.

start

Passenger side ball was looking a little gross. It definitely had some water sitting in it at some point in time.

Took less then two hours to get both sides torn down and the axles pulled

These axle shafts sure are purdy when they are clean

Got a little scare when i pulled the 3rd member and saw this. After further inspection it must have been from a previous set of gears as there was no damage on the pinion itself.

out with the old

in with the new

I didnt take any pictures when i reassembled everything. I wanted to get it finished while the sun was still shining. Also im not sure why my phone rotated some of the pictures. you might just have to turn your head to look at them haha.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:32 AM
Certifiable RC Addict

been a while since i posted in here, nice mods!
about to park my jeep, found two body mounts that have rusted through the tub
Old 03-30-2012, 12:38 AM

Thanks!!!

got time in the shop today, won't have time for the next 5 days or so. Working, school papers and projects got me busy. Oh well, it's more cash. Waiting on the springs anyway.

redesigned the twin stick mount, much easier to make adjustments, made from 1" .250 bar

how everything works together, using stock d300 bushing sleeves and bolt with some washers and a small piece of .63" ID DOM (old lower mount)

How the battery hold down came out
Old 04-07-2012, 11:16 PM

Motivation:
Old 04-08-2012, 05:52 AM
Certifiable RC Addict

that battery hold down scares me...
http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip

Insulation please
Old 04-08-2012, 10:47 AM

motivation indeed. I took the yota up to walker last weekend. The front locker is fubar the teeth looked good as did the springs and pins so im not sure why it doesnt function properly. within 100 yards of trail it unloaded on me about a half dozen times
Old 04-11-2012, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakerid View Post
that battery hold down scares me...
http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip

Insulation please
Thanks I'll try that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hctechno View Post
motivation indeed. I took the yota up to walker last weekend. The front locker is fubar the teeth looked good as did the springs and pins so im not sure why it doesnt function properly. within 100 yards of trail it unloaded on me about a half dozen times
Mine did something similar but less severe, replaced springs and pins and good as new!

Got the trans fully mounted and in. I was right, bellhousing and front bearing retainer were interfering so I took a die grinder to the bellhousing. I'm glad I tacked in the trans crossmember mounts otherwise I'd be VERY pissed off somehow the two transmission casings were 1/4-1/2" off from each other. So I had to break the tacks and now I need to realign everything and tack it in place once again. Oh well, ran out of time.

Oh and the 300 still leaks, whaddya know. More RTV then I'm just going to put it in and save for another case that's meant for this application.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:03 PM

everything looked good so im not sure what the problem is. Since i had bought the lockers as a pair i sold the other one and the guy i sold it to had the same problem. Im not going to mess with another lunch box style locker. Im looking for something already set up with a detroit or if the price is right a arb or e locker.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:45 PM

I'm telling you man, check the install and get new springs and pins. They look fine but they're worn out.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTX View Post
I'm telling you man, check the install and get new springs and pins. They look fine but they're worn out.
i have extra springs and pins but i dont want to pull it apart and replace them only to have the same problem. its time to get some real lockers anyway a selectable in the front would be awesome. it gets old fighting the steering. maybe i could swap the rubicon axles in and put the toy axles under the jeep before i get rid of it. no one would notice,right? lol
Old 04-14-2012, 12:07 AM

Haha yeah nobody

At least you can pull the third. I have to lay under my rig to pull all that. It was worth it though, took me a couple hours in a gravel driveway.

I don't think I ever posted pics but I bought a new truck and have been doing the cam swap the last two days. I should post a new thread and some pics!
Old 04-29-2012, 10:54 PM

Update finally

Fabbed a new mount. 1.75x.120 DOM, 1/4" for the center mount. Still need to trim it up and weld it. I like this mount a lot more. Frame angle is 8* per side.

Clocking ring is on but I think I got a non-flipped 300 version

Finally on all fours and her own weight. Still need to fix the rear shock mounts but will do that once she moves on her own.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:55 PM

Crossmember is burnt

twin sticks are officially go fast, might add some little holes in between the large ones for added speed

push rod length for the clutch right now. seems to work but I won't know until I fire the engine (hopefully very soon). Clutch system is bled, ran out of DOT3 fluid to fill the brake master and bleed those. Clutch feels a lot better than the stock TJ clutch. I might make an adjustable length rod with two bolts and a union so it will be adjustable.

Couple notes from today:

With the high clearance bracket the front driveshaft should just barely clear the slave cyl and line. I need to take a 5lb sledge to the tub again to get the D300 to fully clear. D300 clock ring situation needs to be sorted out, I'll give Duffy a call tomorrow. If we can't work it out I'll be forced to design my own but I really don't want to drill and tap all those damn holes.

My other option for the clocking ring is to enlarge two of the holes on the adapter. I didn't really like this option but considering it would wobble and it will make things easier I might just do it. Considering the adapter has been broken and repaired already it wouldn't be a total loss and I wouldn't shed a tear drilling out the holes. I'll probably call AA tomorrow and see what a new adapter costs.

Almost there....so close.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:55 PM

^ old news.....i read this on pirate a few days ago I cant remember if you had a finish date in mind. I replaced the front locker in my yota so it should be good to go now. I also got a new motor for my winch and it seems fine now. When i had pulled it apart a few months ago there was one wire going to a magnet and one wire going to a brush that were burnt so it might have been over heated at some point. I might head up to walker this weekend and do another shake down run to make sure things are working properly. Last time out the lunch box locker i have in the rear popped a few times ( i never remember it popping while wheeling before) so it too may need to be replaced in the future.

These are from last month, first time I've wheeled this rig or a toyota in over 2 years. It felt great except for the horrible turning radius... I also need to get some real tires on it, 35" km2s dont cut it for me.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:59 AM

haha yeah I was slow to update. Hope to have it done in a couple weeks, if that. Finals are taking up all my time and I also started some side work as a fabricator/welder and have had good business so far.

I need to post pics of my Silverado!
Old 05-01-2012, 10:19 PM

you hadn't mentioned what kind of truck it was but i saw in your thread on pirate that it was a silverado and you were replacing the cam or something. If i remember right it looked like a v6?
Old 05-01-2012, 11:51 PM

Yeah it's a v6, I made a new thread about it in here. I didn't get pics because it was raining.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:11 AM

Old 05-17-2012, 01:11 AM

Progress

rear shaft is made, only tacked together because I need to cycle the suspension and see if it binds anywhere. Has 1/2" of slip for compression and a lot for droop. I'll snap a pic of it in the Jeep next time I'm out there.

Then I made this

I accidentally crushed the ear on the small yoke though. Need to make a new one but that's pretty easy.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:11 AM

I tried adjusting it. It's almost touching the flywheel and you can see everything in these pics, including the indent in the flywheel where the sensor reads-

And how I had it clamped in place to test it. Still not firing

Old 05-19-2012, 12:53 AM

finished