Password: Log In:

Notices

Car Action World's Fastest RC Car Challenge! What car are you going to build to break the world speed record for RC cars?

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2004, 10:46 PM

That... really works? How big is it? Its a dream come true its beautiful... sorry guys i'm having an emotional moment here... its like a mini me or something, i love it!

Where can i buy one?

later
Old 06-02-2004, 02:21 AM

Here's a little clip of one running.

Blown V8 Video

This one is running on gas and has pistons that are only 1" in diameter. The blower is real and functional. It has a couple of Walbro carbs. If I can figure out how to do it, I'm going to try to use a couple of throttle body injectors.

These engines are more of a novelty than the real thing. A very expensive novelty that takes a huge amount of time to build. But so far the people I know haven't done anything commercial with it. A group of us are working together to come up with a motor we can sell in a kit form for a reasonable price, but I would like to carry it one step further and build upscale rc cars. It wouldn't hurt to hold the world speed record for starters. I think there is a market for high powered rc cars such as dragsters, funny cars, or monster trucks. That's my hope anyway.

Mike
Old 06-02-2004, 04:31 PM
Certifiable RC Zone Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Keeney
If I can figure out how to do it, I'm going to try to use a couple of throttle body injectors.
Base it in the Bosch K-jet system.It's mechanical,with few electrical parts,and very simple,relatively speaking.Downsizing the injectors would be the most difficult part,I would think.
Old 06-02-2004, 09:17 PM

Thank you for the tip. I went to their site and found an EFI setup for small 1/2/4 cyl. engines. If this could be adapted to my engine it would be perfect. I don't know what the flow needs will be yet so I can't pick a fuel system yet. So much to learn, so little time.

Mike
Old 06-03-2004, 05:51 PM

When the BADRC gang held their Land Speed Record Run in San Jose a few years back the Race America timing system was duplicated to insure "accurate" times. If the two speeds recorded for each pass were within one percent or so, the run was "offical". Most were OK as their system is very accurate (even at speeds of 100mph posted by low profile 1/10th scale dragsters).

The IEDA also hosted a LSR run at their Summer Nationals event in Minnesota about the same time. Race America timing was utilized there as well and I don't remember any problems encountered with timing. This was the site of the Collins/ Saik 112mph pass. In addition, 5 or 6 other 1/10th scale drag race cars also exceeded the 100mph mark. All were electric, as at that time the IEDA didn't have Nitro classes.

Both these races were run at 300' from a dead stop with the speed traps right at the finish line. Shutdown was adequate in Minnesota, but not nearly so in San Jose. The need for an adequate distance to stop in will soon be apparent.........I hope Irwindale has a bunch!

The IEDA now runs Nitro classes at it's races and the Extreme class is very competitive between the electrics and nitro cars. I will race my old electric car, but cannot wait to see how the Nitro guys perform as they have made tremendous advancements in the past few years. See you there......

Jim Schauer
Old 06-07-2004, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosidge
Rockets aren't allowed.

I think it's a great idea - let's push the boundaries!

Shame it's 1/3 of the way around the world from here to reach the contest...

Electric v Nitro... Hmmmm...

Pure power, it would have to be Nitro. Most likely a weight advantage too.

Reliability/simplicity would be in the electric stable - brushless and Lipo would be very fast, that's for sure.

A healthy development budget could give much more than 125mph in my opinion - 5 horsepower in something weighing 3 kilograms isn't far-fetched... I can't do the maths, but that's A LOT of speed if you keep the drag down...
Dont let the big pond stop you sosidge. A couple of us are going from the UK already
Old 06-07-2004, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyro Gearloose
I would halfway have to agree, you might as well call it the CA closed course record. You'll set the world record but the odds are high it won't be the fastest car in the world(Of course the cars won't exist because you eliminated 80% of the nation before it got started). You should have thought it through and did the east west thing at least.

It will still sell lots of mags though, I'm sure.
Some people are already forgetting it is a World Wide event. You are complaining about travelling across a country. What about us people in the UK etc who have an ocean to cross plus the whole of the US as well????

If thats the case then I say we should have it somewhere in Europe. Thats a central location for the whole world. Wouldnt you agree?
Old 06-07-2004, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyro Gearloose
Your right, Steve, it's your ball and you make the rules.

I just happen to think that's the easy way out of a serious unforseen problem(I think it's a crock). And to top it off, you're expecting a lot people to drop serious cash("For the glory" of being fastest.), yet you won't spend any decent resources for a suitable way to time the speeds.

I'm not trying to stir it up, I was extremely interested in reading about this, seeing the pics and drooling over the whole show.

Until your last post.
My take on this is that the variables are to be taken into account at the design stage. Just making a choice between nitro and electric is a huge decision. Why??? What happens if it rains?? The electric cars will hit problems with fried electronics and the nitro guys will come to the fore because the water wont affect them the same over a short run.

If your car is designed properly then a wind if any given the surroundings of the track shouldnt even count cause your car will be going x mph faster than the rest anyway

I agree with Steve on this one. Fewer rules and more emphasis on design and gear choice make it more interesting. Making full use of design to combat any given changeable variables is all part of the show.
Old 06-07-2004, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craps
For FUN!!!

Then why do we have to wait over year to do this?

Why not this June?
Simply because it gives people a change to first get a car designed and manufactured (which can take up to 6 months) and also to give people travelling huge distances ample time to plan so they can get time off work etc and gather up the thousands of dollars required for flights and accomodation etc.
Old 06-07-2004, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crank throw wei
Well I think nitro has an equal chance of winning, but the BLs have done a lot to level the playing field.A nitro set up will be complex because of transmission and cooling issues.BLs because of battery issues.I think it's a very tough call,at this point,who has the advantage.I own both,but personally,I'm "imagineering" a nitro.
Nitro would be the best bet I would have to say. Its the path I am taking. Having 16yrs experience with Nitro engines I already know much about how they work and how to make them faster .

Cooling isnt a problem. These runs will be short. Cooling wont come into play too much and a well prepared nitro engine should be able to withstand 3 mins running without any heating problems. Our Palmaris engines ran for 15mins at over 300deg F without so much as a stutter.
Old 06-07-2004, 08:48 AM

Well I dont come to the site very often and I thought I had something good to add.. I sent this email to RC car action on 5/6/2004... It is funny that this challenge popped up just a few days after...

I deleted the speeds as I dont want to give it all away...

Sent: Thursday, May 06, 2004 9:45 AM
To: 'rccaraction@palmcoastd.com'
Subject: The Need for Speed

Dear Sirs,

I have been building a car for about 2 years now and I can accurately say that I have a Nitro Car that can clear the ***mph limit. I would like to send a video tape of it in action as well as a tape showing my Stalker and Lidar Guns showing ***.* mph. I can reach this speed in less that 8 seconds with my 1.60 twin 4 stroke running a 25% mix. The engine has been modified and can produce over 5 hp.

I am writing you to say that I would like to see if we could have a shoot out between my car/ cars I have another that is a 2 stroke that can do 100mph in 3.2 secs but the top speed is limited to about 108mph, and anything else that you think will compete. I live in Charleston. SC and I am near some 1/8 th mile drag tracks that could be used as a testing ground however I think if we were to meet at Darlington Int, we could have quite a event.

Understanding that an electric car could not compete in a full lap/s race however it would be interesting to try. Let me know if this it something that we could explore. If I had enough room with, I think with the power to weight ratio that I do have I could see ***mph, I am however concerned about my tires at those speeds.

I will look forward to a reply.

Casey {Deleted**

Anyway interesting coincidence...
Old 06-07-2004, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC-scientist
I live in Charleston. SC and I am near some 1/8 th mile drag tracks that could be used as a testing ground however I think if we were to meet at Darlington Int, we could have quite a event.
I think Bristol Raceway (Bristol, TN) with it's very high banked corners taking handling out of the picture and the 1/2 mile oval size would make radio transmission range not an issue.

Needs to be one of those speed challenges in the heart of racing country USA.
Old 06-07-2004, 01:23 PM

Why not Taledega then? Or is it simply too large?
Old 06-07-2004, 07:37 PM

PeterV
Moderator Join Date: 06-26-2000

During the planning stages, I asked the same question about whether or not to run on the oval, and was given the same argument sosidge has made so well. It takes a fair amount of real estate to get a geared-to-the-moon 100mph car up to speed, and if all the running is done in a straight line, you'll run out of radio range quickly. The oval makes the distance more manageable. Also, the stadium will let drivers get up high to better see their cars and better reach them with their transmitters.

I think the above statement answers your question. You have to run reg. r/c radios. I don't see how you will do it in a strait line.
Old 06-07-2004, 09:11 PM

Ok for me.

Mike
Old 06-08-2004, 02:31 AM

How come no body is talking about turbine powered car.. ?

Its really not a problem to install a small turbo to the back of
a gas turbine. Then its just a matter of finding the right gears
to go from the turbo charger to the drive shaft...

If I can get AMT turbines to lend me a AMT 180 I just may have
to enter this challange..

Eddie Weeks
http://www.corpcomp.com/weeks1/
Old 06-08-2004, 03:27 AM

RC-scientist,
Interesting coincidence indeed. Pictures and videos would be nice.... I don't suppose your car happens to be right around 2-ft long is it?
Old 06-08-2004, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerrandy
PeterV
Moderator Join Date: 06-26-2000

During the planning stages, I asked the same question about whether or not to run on the oval, and was given the same argument sosidge has made so well. It takes a fair amount of real estate to get a geared-to-the-moon 100mph car up to speed, and if all the running is done in a straight line, you'll run out of radio range quickly. The oval makes the distance more manageable. Also, the stadium will let drivers get up high to better see their cars and better reach them with their transmitters.

I think the above statement answers your question. You have to run reg. r/c radios. I don't see how you will do it in a strait line.
I understand it has to be on an oval due to radio problems, but does it have to be an oval with a low degree of banking that makes downforce and handling an issue, where there are at least 2 high banked 1/2 mile ovals in the country that I know of that would take most of the handling issue out of the speed run contest. Bristol, TN and I think Salem, OH(?) have the fastest 1/2 mile tracks anywhere with a high degree of banking. Bristol Raceway I know has a ground down concrete surface that appears to be very smooth and with very tall grandstands around the track to get elevation to operate the radio without problems.

Maybe next time.
Old 06-08-2004, 09:27 AM

Very interesting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant Tokumi
RC-scientist,
Interesting coincidence indeed. Pictures and videos would be nice.... I don't suppose your car happens to be right around 2-ft long is it?

Normally I would post pictures but now with the upcomming event I am not sure If I want to post them and give everyone time to copy what I have done. What fun would that be?

The car I have is about 17 inches.. as it was a modded Hyper10pro... so the size thing is probably done that way so they can be sure to get all 1/8th in there. Really I dont think there will be much of a contest, between gas and Electric, I know what you at thinking but trust me, electric really will have to carry way to many cells to get enough power. What are they going to do make one pass then charge then make another pass? That sounds like fun. I am sure most of the Gas Cars will make several before refuel.

I have about 2+ year on this particular project, so I can only make it go faster.... What is the current land speed record for a RC vehical? Is it 111 mph? Maybe I should go ahead and call Guiness...
Old 06-08-2004, 11:42 AM

Quote:
I have about 2+ year on this particular project, so I can only make it go faster.... What is the current land speed record for a RC vehical? Is it 111 mph? Maybe I should go ahead and call Guiness...
You might find for less money to bring Guiness to you rather than travel to CA with all of you're equipment that may not be able show maximum speed due to the track limitations.
Old 06-08-2004, 11:43 AM

Land speed record-111 by Cliff Lett with a modded L3O
Surface speed record-120.2 by a boat at the LA 2003 SAWS
Old 06-08-2004, 06:03 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=RC-scientist] Really I dont think there will be much of a contest, between gas and Electric, I know what you at thinking but trust me, electric really will have to carry way to many cells to get enough power. What are they going to do make one pass then charge then make another pass? That sounds like fun. I am sure most of the Gas Cars will make several before refuel.QUOTE]

actually, Cliff's L3 only ran for about 30 before the 2/3AA batts died.
but with lipos @ 8000mah and most likely above 15,000mah by the time this contest is run, i think the electrics will be able to run for at least a few min before they dump. but overall, who cares how long it runs. if they cared about that, they'd wire them in paralell. but the contest is for speed. so series is what it will be.
-Nick
Old 06-08-2004, 06:31 PM

I quess they have not read the "Electric 1/8th Scale Racing" thread in the Brushless Forum using big brushless motors with 22.2 volts of 7600 mah Li-Pos. Gas buggies can not compare to the throttle up and top speed of the electric buggy.

You guys that have not used Li-Pos yet are in for a learning curve and may smoke a few ESCs before you discover how superior Li-Pos are to nickel batteries. Trust me on this one, if Electric wins, it will be with Li-Pos and brushless motors!!!!
Old 06-09-2004, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Really I dont think there will be much of a contest, between gas and Electric, I know what you at thinking but trust me, electric really will have to carry way to many cells to get enough power.
I think RC scientist will be in this challenge for a big surprise !

Watch the new batteries I did receive, now installed on my Pro4, see this thread in the Brushless forum for pictures and infos:

http://www.radiocontrolzone.com/foru...d.php?t=169983

Two Lithium Polymer packs in serie for 14.8 volt and 3200 mA total:

Twice the power of regular 3300 Nimh and still 80 grams ( 2.5 oz ) less

You can as well see it is the same dimension as a regular pack...

Quote:
What are they going to do make one pass then charge then make another pass? That sounds like fun.I am sure most of the Gas Cars will make several before refuel.
This as well needs to be rephrased because with this battery, the run time of my pro4 will be over the 15 minutes marks, probably more like 20 minutes.

So, as the matter of fact, you will need to refuel twice before I have to swap my batt LoL So I am sorry, but I won't be able to help you refuel because I will still be doing more high speed passes while you'll be doing it !

The future is now.

New technology is available and we are already learning how to use it.

DFF

Last edited by DaFF; 06-09-2004 at 03:09 AM.
Old 06-09-2004, 03:17 AM

I kind of figure weight is not as important because it only dictates acceleration, not top speed. Heavier vehicle will take longer to accelerate, but doesn't seem to me like it will really restrict top speed, unless gearing has to be changed just to get it up to speed. Actually, I thought a heavier vehicle would be advantageous because it would be more stable as well. Power to size (physical size/cross sectional area) ratio seems more important to me than power to weight ratio in this format of event..... is these not good assumptions?

Good luck to you RC-scientist. Can't wait to see the coverage next year.