Password: Log In:

Notices

Car Action World's Fastest RC Car Challenge! What car are you going to build to break the world speed record for RC cars?

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2004, 10:49 AM
Certifiable RC Addict

It's okay to say P.O.S. ...you don't have to say "slowpoke." ...chuckle...
Old 07-10-2004, 12:13 PM

get real

NOW NOW girls, if your cars go half as fast as your mouth's you would both reach the moon in 5 seconds, why dont you both have a quick reality check, anyway, i dont remember the rules saying you could both run your barbie doll jeeps......time is running out, get real or get out, the silly ideas go in another part of the forum!! this is for the guys who would donate a part to a fellow racer if in need, not mouth off.
Old 07-10-2004, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb4flys
NOW NOW girls, if your cars go half as fast as your mouth's you would both reach the moon in 5 seconds, why dont you both have a quick reality check, anyway, i dont remember the rules saying you could both run your barbie doll jeeps......time is running out, get real or get out, the silly ideas go in another part of the forum!! this is for the guys who would donate a part to a fellow racer if in need, not mouth off.
Chill out dude, it's nothing more than harmless chiding. I didn't see any rule preventing people from having some fun on the forum.

Cheers,
Mike
Old 07-11-2004, 08:33 PM

I'll never get to this event, but couldn't u take a low turn motor and hard wire tons of battery power to it. Just a thought, probably wouldn't work
Old 07-11-2004, 08:34 PM

The hard wiring is so u wouldn't risk blowing an ESC
Old 07-13-2004, 03:47 AM

Whats everys ones views and opinions on drive trains? Do you think it would be better to have a 2wd front,rear , 4wd, heck even 1wd if you'd like.
Old 07-14-2004, 05:30 AM

question for steve pond

question for steve pond? why put up a forum for stupid ideas and then close it because people put stupid ideas on there.....
Old 07-14-2004, 04:46 PM

Just a bit curious, but why a P80 when the P90 comp is the Picco top of the line boat engine ?

DFF
Old 07-14-2004, 05:42 PM
Certifiable RC Zone Addict

There have been so many replies I did not read them all. This is interesting

A local company sponsors me and we are working on a car to do just that. Be the fastest ever in the world. We are using all conventional RC car stuff. Just modified motor mounts and small chassis to allow room for the batteries and stronger gearing. This is way cool to see this posted here.

I forward this info onto my sponsor. This can be great fun.

The company who is sponsoring my car is MTroniks:
http://www.mtroniks.new
Old 07-14-2004, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Maxx000
I'll never get to this event, but couldn't u take a low turn motor and hard wire tons of battery power to it. Just a thought, probably wouldn't work
YES - you can do this but you will not be able to properly control the car.
Old 07-14-2004, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgs9
Whats everys ones views and opinions on drive trains? Do you think it would be better to have a 2wd front,rear , 4wd, heck even 1wd if you'd like.
Using the Venom Speed Meter to measure my speed - my car currently has hit 93MPh before the ESC blew. I was using 2wd and found it very hard to control above the 50 - 60MPh. If I had a choice, I would use 4wd.
Old 07-14-2004, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterV
Are airplane radios actually more powerful? .
I did not see a response so sorry if this is repeated: Not really, a lot of people think they are more powerful because how far a plane is flown from where the pilot is standing. There are no obstructions and everything is line of site. So if you have a good radio FM or PCM you will be able to control the car from a great distance.
Old 07-14-2004, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cretin
what i am wondering is why so many people think that a light car is the way to go. look at bonneville cars; heavy is the name of the game. weight is free downforce. downforce from wings is drag. sure since these cars (and trucks?) will have to be turning, they can't exactly use cinder blocks for ballast, but i think a featherweight pan car would be a bad idea.

kudos on the awards. their are nothing but names in a book at bonneville, and there are no shortages of people racing there.
To a certain extent I agree. I think if you design it right, you should be able to make a brick go 200MPh. And think the weight will help keeping the car stable.
Old 07-14-2004, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyro Gearloose
It is too far away from 90% of us, unless you happen to live on the west coast.
I am in the UK / England. I am considering going. I have been talking to my wife asking her if she is intersted in all of us coming as a whole family to this thing.
Old 07-14-2004, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GForce
Is anybody using a drag car (rail, funnycar or pro stock) for this competition?
I have given this a lot of thought. With a dragster you can fit more cells more easily. I own a CNC Mill in my garage. I am right now making a custom chassis and motor plates to make room for the cells. For my test chassis, I am using aluminum. It is a cheaper material. For my final, I am using carbon fiber.
Old 07-14-2004, 06:49 PM

i had this 2wd academy car, a cheapo but i put a larger motor, I think it had an academy 380 or maby like a 400, but i put a 540 traxxas 20 turn in it and changed the gear ration from like 3.3to1 to i think a 2.7to1, it was pretty fast but it was realy hard to start out because it would just peal tire, even when i was going, if you pulled the throtal it would peal and the left tire would slip and it would just do a 180. was that your problem with 2wd?
Old 07-14-2004, 07:49 PM

I just think 4wd has more control. I start really slow and build up speed to keep it from doing the 180's. Even with 4wd, start out slow and build up speed. If not can easily lose control of the car.
Old 07-14-2004, 07:51 PM

My post above - the URL is wrong - My sponsors website is http://www.mtroniks.net
Old 07-14-2004, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by studysession
I did not see a response so sorry if this is repeated: Not really, a lot of people think they are more powerful because how far a plane is flown from where the pilot is standing. There are no obstructions and everything is line of site. So if you have a good radio FM or PCM you will be able to control the car from a great distance.
They are built to the same limits to the best of my knowledge. FYI, you're going to need a PCM radio, and only legal US frequencies WITHOUT EXCEPTION. The rules require a failsafe that will control the car in the event of signal interference or failure. I'd hate to see someone go packing because they showed up on a funny, but there's no way it will be allowed. Not saying that for anyone's benefit in particular, just letting everyonen know to run on 75 or the legal 27 band (STRONGLY recommend 75 MHz).
Old 07-15-2004, 03:23 AM

Sorry about that folks, but I had a bad link to the Blown V8. Try this: Blown V8.

This engine sounds real cool, but it's really only for display and good sound. The engine I'm designing will be a little larger than this one, but much more power. The engine in the vid only has a 1" bore & stroke, and it's burning gas. They're allot of fun running on nitro though. They shoot flames about a foot and a half.

Mike
Old 07-15-2004, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevePond
They are built to the same limits to the best of my knowledge. FYI, you're going to need a PCM radio, and only legal US frequencies WITHOUT EXCEPTION. The rules require a failsafe that will control the car in the event of signal interference or failure. I'd hate to see someone go packing because they showed up on a funny, but there's no way it will be allowed. Not saying that for anyone's benefit in particular, just letting everyonen know to run on 75 or the legal 27 band (STRONGLY recommend 75 MHz).

Thanks - I have a Futaba 3PK - it is PCM/FM - And I plan on getting the 75Mhz module. Right now I have the 40MHz module because that is the legal RC Car frequency over here.

This will be a lot of fun and a great learning experience for everyone.
Old 07-20-2004, 07:33 PM

"what i am wondering is why so many people think that a light car is the way to go. look at bonneville cars; heavy is the name of the game. weight is free downforce. downforce from wings is drag. sure since these cars (and trucks?) will have to be turning, they can't exactly use cinder blocks for ballast, but i think a featherweight pan car would be a bad idea."

whilst I agree that a heavier car will be more stable at speed, it is quite simply that a heavier car needs more power to reach a certain speed, therefore more weight needs more power. so featherweight may not be the very best idea, but all the fast cars will be as light as they can be for their particular power source.....

another way of putting it is extra weight is extra drag at any speed, at least downforce keeps it steady at high speeds, yet flimsy aerofoils or wings dont add much weight.

as for 4wd or 2wd - thats a good question, rwd would make sense in principle as there is less rotating mass to get moving, more weight concentrated over the rear wheels where the traction is most needed, and the rwd pan cars are some of the lightest cars ever(for their size) so the power to weight ratio is fantastic. however as for controlling the thing at over 100mph? thats another matter 4wd would be more stable yet would waste energy getting up to speed....

also dont forget the electric record holder at 111mph was an AE RC10L3 pan car RWD with a BL motor and 36cells(I think). I guess most competitive electrics will be similar to this, however the use of LiPo cells may allow for a faster car??(less weight, same voltage, meaning higher gearing could be used).

either way (4wd or 2wd) I guess you would want as little steering as possible at speed, any twitchiness at high speed would cause serious probs.....

and I agree with whoever said about remembering to have fun - thats why I'd prolly turn up with an MT - I know it aint gonna win, but I'd love to see the faces if I was there with like a juggernaut 2 or something.....you know that strange Tamiya that does like 10mph out of the box (and will take twin BL and has room for a heck of alot of cells.....)...lol

also on the note of tyres, at such high speeds wouldnt hard compound tyres be a good idea? I know they may not grip so well at low speeds/low temps, but your gonna be spinning them pretty fast, so heat will be abundant, plus they are unlikley to rip tear or blow out so easily as soft "racing" tyres.

*sorry 4 long post, I only check this thread a couple o times a month(if that)...so I end up with alot to say.....

Old 07-20-2004, 10:31 PM

The thing is that light cars for the most part creat there down force with spoilers, why make the car heavy that just makes it harder to accelerate and with a good spoiler you can get just as good traction as a heavy car with a good spoiler. Just look at an indy car, they are realy light but can ride at speeds of 170 mph soundly. Also i dont think a the diffrece of a few pounds will help too much at realy high speeds and if you did add more than just a few pounds, you would never get moving.

Im not trying you shoot you down or anything im just giving my opinion.
Old 07-24-2004, 06:47 PM

There's no doubt that there's more than 1 way to skin a cat.Light/small motor or heavy/big motor both work (NASCARs are heavy and also go 170+).
Old 07-28-2004, 05:07 PM

true.

NASCAR has aerodynamic limitations enforced tho, if they wanna go faster they have to find it in the engine or transmission. this contest is great because there are no such limitations.....