Password: Log In:

Notices

Car Action World's Fastest RC Car Challenge! What car are you going to build to break the world speed record for RC cars?

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2005, 03:08 AM

Oh yea, the winner will definately be in the mag, but it'd probably be only a page or so. A page is plenty for a chassis shot, and body shot, and a pretty good description.

DISCLAIMER: I do not work for R/C Car Action! This is just speculation on my part, based on how they usually give magazine space for these kinds of things. SteveP is the man you need to talk to for a definate answer. Heck, he might not even know. But if you win you probably be at least mentioned in the mag.
Old 02-02-2005, 05:04 AM

Man, I can't stand getting my picture taken, much less my picture in a national magazine. I think i'd have a heartattack if I saw a big picture of me in the magazine...lol
Old 02-02-2005, 06:31 AM
Certifiable RC Zone Addict

A lot of sponsors help with the car but no the trip itself.
Old 02-15-2005, 12:30 AM

Hey steve, on the super nitro car, did you have to do anything special to the body posts or body itself? Like from all the downforce generated?

I'm wondering if there will be an issue with body flex or the body posts bending.
Old 02-15-2005, 12:44 AM

You could always use some metal or carbon fiber to supposrt the posts and mounts, and glue some sheets/strips of lexal to where you think the boy will flex. But you have to keep in mind that that all adds weight, especially heavy glues.
Old 02-15-2005, 07:37 PM

Hmm, i was thinking more on the lines of fiberglass, but come to think of it, that might be a bit heavy. Carbon fiber would make more sense. Although, I could use a body as a mold and make the body out of fiberglass...but it'd still be heavy probably

Anyhoo, i'm not *terribly* worried about weight. Not so concerned with winning, just want to go fast and learn a thing or two. Besides, I have a feeling my car will weigh A LOT after I finish adding all the aluminum to stiffen that chassis.
Old 02-21-2005, 10:19 PM

carbon post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interstate
You could always use some metal or carbon fiber to supposrt the posts and mounts, and glue some sheets/strips of lexal to where you think the boy will flex. But you have to keep in mind that that all adds weight, especially heavy glues.

"Into The Wind" kite sales can get you graphite and fiberglass spars, tubes, and the knockoffs to attach them. But I think using turnbuckle ends will do fine as long they stay snug and dont pop off.
Old 02-21-2005, 10:43 PM

Anyone interested in tossing some ideas back and forth on developing a land speed record car? Ohio State University has a full sized electric car going 300+ MPH....I assume wheels are just large Carbon Fiber disk with vulcanized rubber on the contact surface. I wonder what happends when the tread peels off like on semi trucks....ohh we have the worlds faster concrete cutter.
Old 02-21-2005, 10:58 PM

My contrabution to speed, take 4 sheets of carbon fiber, and layer 3 sheets of tire foam in between. Gule and cut out tire doughnuts, true them and mount them to solid axles. You now have tires that will handle 40K RPM
Old 02-22-2005, 12:24 AM

Won't the rubber plys wear faster than the CF ones leaving you with just CF contacting the surface ??
Old 02-22-2005, 12:43 AM

yeah, not to mention balance issues, integrity problems, and the strength of the glue.
Old 03-13-2005, 09:29 PM

It would be interesting if they scaled the speed of the cars or made an event where they would scale the speed. So the speed of a 1/18 scale car would be multiplied (sp) by 18 to make a 1:1 ratio.
Old 03-13-2005, 10:58 PM

No, no it wouldn't. That's what nikko, tyco, and other non-hobby grade manufacturers do for morketing reasons. If the cars go as fast as some of their makers claim them to, no scaleing wil be necessary.

Besides, scaleing is really just a big lie to appeal to those who don't really know what's going on...
Old 03-13-2005, 11:54 PM

Yea, if that was the case, you could make a little rubber band powered 1:64 scale matchbox car that could go about 900 scaled mph. That is just wrong.
Old 03-19-2005, 06:52 PM

124 Mph!!!

I was at the local slot track this past week and I've been seeing guys run 100~124MPH on a 55foot drag strip. Or to give you a ET.... 0.70seconds~.55seconds. Now that is freaking fast. I'm not a slot racer, but it is possible to spin 1 inch tires at over 100mph for a short time since I have seen it done, so it must be possible to spin 2"~3" tires at 150mph.

Ok, if RCCA approves. I am making a 100' slot car drag strip, pumping high voltage on it and using a matching voltage, but small, battery pack to continue powering the car after 100'. So how does a running a 1/10th slot dragster sound? Ever seen appliance drag racing? Table saws doing 3Omph in 50feet?
Old 03-19-2005, 07:14 PM

Well, you have to remember air drag (resistance) increases exponentially. So (for numbers sake) if our 1/10 cars are 10 times bigger than slot cars, they would have at least 100 times more air drag provided the bodies were the same.

Same goes for rotational forces, a 3 inch tire might have 80 times the force of a 1 inch tire.
Old 03-20-2005, 06:44 PM

i don't know if this question has been asked, but is this event going to be shown on Inside RC or any other RC show.
Old 03-29-2005, 11:46 PM

A little added incentive?

First off, Hi to Steve! Long time no talk!!!
I'll put up a little something for you guys to think about... I now own a company called Grand Motorsports (www.grandmotorsports.com) that makes radio control dragsters.
Our record-holding rail dragster has gone over 80 mph in just 132 feet in less than 1.6 seconds. They're areodynamic, fast, and will accomodate 18, 20 or even more cells.
So I want to make this offer... if someone wins the RC Car Action World's Fastest Car Challenge with any Grand Motorsports drag chassis, I'll give them back the cost of their GMS car PLUS $500 bucks!
(That will at least offset the cost of the plane ticket!)
Best of luck to everyone, keep up the interesting concept cars, and just GO FOR IT!!!

Mike Ogle
Grand Motorsports
Old 03-30-2005, 01:23 PM

Well, If its an Oval, a Dragster sure isnt going to get it. Thats the big problem. We dont even know WHAT we would be racing on.
Old 03-30-2005, 01:39 PM

Mike - That is a very generous offer.

For some the problem is more timing. It will be April on Friday and we are talking about an event that WAS supposed to be this summer. Some of us have to come from half way around the globe to get there. It is late in the season to try and make plans at this time for someone like myself. I personally am hoping that they anounce a place this year and have the date for next spring or summer.

When you have jobs and families it is hard to do last minute plans that involve something that is so far away. JMO
Old 04-13-2005, 11:57 AM

It will be more impressive to see someone hit 112mph with a $2,000 budget than another hit 115mph with a $5,000 limit.

Cost should be a factor, or there should be column for the guy that got the closest with the lowest cost.
Old 04-13-2005, 04:34 PM

Hey Mike! Glad to see you back in the biz! I called Holly earlier. Give me a ring if we haven't already talked by the time you see this.

Studysession - we're as frustrated by the delay as anyone. We orginally had plans, with the assistance of Mike and a popular speedway in SoCal, to run the event by some time mid summer this year. The person with whom we made the arrangements for the event is no longer at the track, or at least unable to honor our agreement, so we are in the unfortunate position of finding another facility. We are in discussion with another venue but we don't want to post anything until we have a signed, sealed deal. We will leave plenty of time for everyone to make plans - us included. Of course we would have preferred to run it as scheduled, and were taking steps to ensure that someone won't have a "change of heart" this time around. We're certainly sorry for the misfire, but we won't let it happen again.
Old 04-15-2005, 10:23 PM

Mike, just wanted to let you know that I plan to take you up on your offer. If others do the same, I am sure you will not only get lots of orders for kits, but also for replacement parts from all the spectacular crashes!!!

Where can I get the specs on the Cobalt Drag motors (max current, max power, Kv, max rpm, etc.)?

Steve, can you at least confirm if this event will be held on a dragstrip instead of an oval?
Old 05-16-2005, 09:40 PM
Where did they go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevePond
Hey Mike! Glad to see you back in the biz! I called Holly earlier. Give me a ring if we haven't already talked by the time you see this.

Studysession - we're as frustrated by the delay as anyone. We orginally had plans, with the assistance of Mike and a popular speedway in SoCal, to run the event by some time mid summer this year. The person with whom we made the arrangements for the event is no longer at the track, or at least unable to honor our agreement, so we are in the unfortunate position of finding another facility. We are in discussion with another venue but we don't want to post anything until we have a signed, sealed deal. We will leave plenty of time for everyone to make plans - us included. Of course we would have preferred to run it as scheduled, and were taking steps to ensure that someone won't have a "change of heart" this time around. We're certainly sorry for the misfire, but we won't let it happen again.
Heart-Breaking ....

I so wish we could of had it in good ole sunny cali ....

Welp, I wish you guys luck in finding a newer spot close by me ... hehe if not I'll be willing to take a road trip. Id like to meet up with you guys ..

Best idea ever though .. let's keep the door open
Old 05-25-2005, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.R. Ogle
First off, Hi to Steve! Long time no talk!!!
I'll put up a little something for you guys to think about... I now own a company called Grand Motorsports (www.grandmotorsports.com) that makes radio control dragsters.
Our record-holding rail dragster has gone over 80 mph in just 132 feet in less than 1.6 seconds. They're areodynamic, fast, and will accomodate 18, 20 or even more cells.
So I want to make this offer... if someone wins the RC Car Action World's Fastest Car Challenge with any Grand Motorsports drag chassis, I'll give them back the cost of their GMS car PLUS $500 bucks!
(That will at least offset the cost of the plane ticket!)
Best of luck to everyone, keep up the interesting concept cars, and just GO FOR IT!!!

Mike Ogle
Grand Motorsports
MR Mike Ogle,
It is not the cost of the car that keeps some entering, its the cost of the motor and batteries. If you were willing to build me a chasis, I would gladly buy the batteries and motors. My car needs, "D" Cell cutouts!