Password: Log In:

Notices

Hot News and New Stuff Forum Cars, Trucks, Boats Up-to-the minute news on the latest kits, RTRs, parts, accessories and more. Be sure to subscribe!

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2008, 10:29 AM
Online News Editor

Losi 1/10 Comp Crawler Race Roller

Check out the new Losi rock crawler! Keep your eye on the main page of rccaraction.com for videos all week, and check back often to see more pictures and information!

Click below!

http://www.rccaraction.com/ME2/dirmo...C6726748E4111A

Name:  LOSA0051-450.jpg
Views: 10047
Size:  28.7 KB

LOSA0051 - $284.99
trevord@airage.com
rccanews@airage.com
http://www.rccaraction.com
Sponsored Links

Old 12-03-2008, 12:14 PM

I was wonder when they would do it. I really like the new body design looks like the hood is higher witch means the body should be able to drop down farther. I like the slammed look.

Jason

Last edited by Jason MaxAmps; 12-03-2008 at 12:19 PM.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:40 PM
BrandonWilcox

This truck features front and rear dig. Check out more information on our landing page located here:
http://www.rccaraction.com/ME2/dirmo...C6726748E4111A

Name:  dig.jpg
Views: 4776
Size:  242.8 KB
Old 12-03-2008, 03:29 PM
Certifiable RC Addict

Another crawler? Oh man. With the rate of new products for scale and crawling being released, I'll convert in the future.

Manufacturers are putting in more and more neat features that will really make the rig more competitive right out of the box.
Old 12-03-2008, 04:57 PM

And yet another thing for my 2009 wishlist.

It says it has worm gears also. I am not into crawling yet but it sounds pretty decent.
Old 12-03-2008, 05:06 PM

Worm gears, Dual dig (front or Rear). Losi did their home work with this one. I am really glad to see it wasn't brought out as another rtr type set-up.

Jason
Old 12-03-2008, 07:40 PM

Nice, that tranny looks solid and the dig looks tough from what i can see, not tried worm gear axles before , they have advantages but are they allowed in stock 2.2 class?
nice price.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:45 PM

Losi really seems to have paid attention to what the crawler guys wanted. Even if the $285 ends up being the street price, it will be a terrific value. Thanks to Losi for another kit option!
Old 12-03-2008, 10:58 PM

Did not see this one coming.

Definitely looks higher quality than the average Losi product recently.

I'm anxious to see the guts.

-Eric
Old 12-04-2008, 01:47 AM
Got Baja?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccardude04 View Post
Did not see this one coming.

Definitely looks higher quality than the average Losi product recently.

I'm anxious to see the guts.

-Eric
Unfortunately I'm going to have to agree with you. It kinda sucks that we have to say that, but oh well.

This thing does look badass. I hope they offer a kit version...

"Everything in moderation, including moderation."
Old 12-04-2008, 01:59 AM

Looks much better than that 1.9 crap they been try to get people to buy.

IB..
Old 12-04-2008, 02:09 AM
Got Baja?

Quote:
Originally Posted by I B RACIN View Post
Looks much better than that 1.9 crap they been try to get people to buy.

IB..
The 1.9 kicks ass. It needs tires and tuning, but so does every other competition rig in this hobby. For the price it's damn hard to beat.

Old 12-04-2008, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalry101 View Post
The 1.9 kicks ass. It needs tires and tuning, but so does every other competition rig in this hobby. For the price it's damn hard to beat.
Yeah people that fell for the nylint tryed to defend them also, don't get me wrong if you like your little toy thats great, buts lets keep it real its not a competition rig.

IB..
Old 12-04-2008, 04:43 AM

This is quite the surprise!

But not surprised that they seem to have come out with a rig that will be extremely competitive right out of the box! Drivetrain looks solid as does the suspension setup!

Who says the MRC is just a toy? According to the USRCCA it is a Competition Rig And my MRC performs pretty damn good with only some weight added, shocks mounted to chassis and lower mounts moved to the lower link mount position with 60wt. oil and electronics relocated.

But back on topic I had been thinking I needed to go to a Motor On Axle setup but with the Kyosho Rock Force and now this I think I have changed my mind! Why list that hop-ups on the way when the truck isn't even here yet? I hope that dig is a smooth operation?

With all the Team Drivers they have I am not surprised they came up with a Great Looking Rig, maybe a little surprised they did'nt do a MOA setup as most of their Team Drivers seem to run Berg Axle rigs.

To bad they waited so long to release it? But it seems R/C companies like to release stuff after X-Mas so we can use our X-Mas money or Tax Returns to buy the new stuff !
Old 12-04-2008, 11:26 AM
Online News Editor

Name:  LOSA0051-GAL2.jpg
Views: 6241
Size:  30.6 KB

Here is some more info on this new rig from Losi:

Incorporating real engineering elements from full-size rock crawling competition, the 1/10 Comp Crawler represents the pinnacle of RC rock crawling design. Every part, every feature and every inch is designed to mimic real-world competition platforms, resulting in the most advanced 1/10-scale radio control crawler ever developed.

The list of innovations that make the Comp Crawler an RC revolution is long, and it starts with a solid foundation. The Twin Vertical Plate (TVP) chassis with adjustable upper shock mounts offers unbeatable stability and rigidity in a durable, lightweight design. The result is confident handling over any terrain and outstanding suspension articulation. And Team Losi Racing has gone one step further, by offering this innovative crawling chassis pre-built and tuned right out of the box. All you have to do is add the electronics of your choice and paint the included Lexan Grapler Pro body.

Team Losi Racing’s Comp Crawler is the first rock crawling platform in the industry to offer a revolutionary front and rear “dig” transmission. The use of an optional third channel setup allows the front or rear drive axle to be disengaged, locking the wheels in place and acting as a steering brake for precise lateral movement on and over obstacles. The transmission case has been fitted with adjustable servo mounts that will allow for the use of most “mini” servos and includes an aluminum servo arm. The third channel on a 3-channel radio (such as the Spektrum DX3R) allows the full use of the DIG transmission, and also requires a micro servo installation for actuation. If you do not have a 3-channel radio system or extra servo there is no need to worry - the Comp Crawler will function with full time 4wd with our without a dig servo hooked up.

The solid axle setup on the Comp Crawler offers a significant reduction in flex for improved performance. Inside, the axles utilize a worm gear drive for outstanding precision in throttle control and maneuverability. Another benefit of the worm gear drivetrain design is the elimination of the “torque twist” commonly found in shaft driven rock crawlers. As a result, the Comp Crawler stays in contact with the ground for uninterrupted grip.

The Comp Crawler features a 4 link suspension layout that offers 70 degrees of suspension articulation. This specially designed 4-link suspension setup is used in combination with the twin vertical plate chassis to reduce axle swing and eliminate side-to-side movement for increased steering and maneuvering precision. 7mm diameter aluminum suspension links are hard anodized and triangulated to the center of the chassis for better balance front to rear when the suspension starts to twist. 4” Aluminum threaded shocks with Titanium Nitride (TiNi) shafts allow the suspension to articulate without any binds.

Designed with the demanding conditions of competition rock crawling in mind, the steering system on the Comp Crawler provides precise control as well as class leading performance with 45 degrees of steering throw. The front caster blocks feature 10 degrees of caster and the spindles are attached with heavy duty steel king pins. The steering geometry also allowed Team Losi Racing engineers to raise the main steering link closer to the axle housing, giving the Crawler additional clearance when approaching obstacles.

Just like full-size crawlers, the 1/10 Comp Crawler utilizes functional beadlock wheels with aluminum outer rings. The functioning beadlock allows for the tires to maintain more contact and traction, while the aluminum outer rings provide evenly distributed pressure for unbeatable tire mounting. Losi’s National Champion Rock Claws 2.2 Tires come mounted on the beadlock wheels, complete with foam inserts. The added ground clearance from the Rock Claws tires makes conquering any and all courses easier.

Features:
  • Compact Front & Rear Locking (DIG) Center Transmission allows the crawler to overtake obstacles with ease
  • Front and Rear Solid Axle with Worm Gear Drive
  • 4-Link Suspension offers 70 degrees of articulation and minimizes front and rear axle swing, allowing for more precise handling
  • Zero Ackerman Steering provides class leading performance with 45 degrees of steering throw
  • Front and Rear locked differential provides full time 4wd
  • 3-Piece 2.2" Bead Lock Wheels with aluminum outer rings
  • National Champion 2.2 Losi Rock Claws Tires with foam inserts
  • Twin Vertical Plate Chassis with adjustable upper shock mounts
  • 4" Aluminum Threaded Shocks with Titanium Nitride (TiNi) Shafts allow the suspension to articulate without any binds.
  • Durable, telescoping CV drive shafts allow for increased steering range
  • Aluminum Upper and Lower Suspension Links for added strength
  • Lexan Grappler Pro body is optimized to USRCCA Rules and allows for clearance of the tires as they articulate
  • Race Roller Chassis is preassembled; simply add electronics, paint the body and go

Product Specifications:

Type:Competition 2.2 Rock Crawler Race Roller
Scale:1/10 (2.2)
Length:17.5 inches (444.5mm)
Width:10.5 inches (266.7mm)
Wheelbase:12.5 inches (317.5 mm)
Weight:4.18 lbs. (1.9kg)
Chassis:Twin Verticle Plate
Suspension:4-Link
Tire Type:National Champion Losi Rock Claws 2.2
Wheel Size:2.2" Bead Lock
Kit/RTR:Race Roller
Shock Type:4" Aluminum with Titanium Nitride (TiNi) shafts
Body:Clear Lexan Grappler Pro

Needed to Complete:

Basic set-up
  • 17.5 T Brushless Motor and ESC (LOSB9553 Xcelorin Sensored 17.5T ESC/Motor Combo)
  • 2-3-Cell LiPo (LOSB9865 11.1V 1350mAh 3S 20C LiPo)
  • Charger for above battery (LOSB9605 Intelligent Lithium Charger)
  • High torque Steering Servo (Min. of 200oz) (JRPSZ9100T Digital Ultra-Torque MG Servo)
  • 2 Channel Radio System
  • Paint

Advanced Completion

To take full advantage of the DIG set-up and the true potential of the 1/10 Comp Crawler .
  • 3-Channel Radio System w/ 3 position 3rd channel switch (SPM3130 DX3R DSM2 Radio System)
  • Mini Steering Servo (LOSB0822 MSX12 Digital Mini Servo)

Name:  LOSA0051-GAL8.jpg
Views: 4452
Size:  27.2 KB

Name:  LOSA0051-GAL10.jpg
Views: 3888
Size:  20.2 KB

Name:  LOSA0051-GAL13.jpg
Views: 3886
Size:  34.9 KB

Name:  LOSA0051-GAL18.jpg
Views: 3867
Size:  27.6 KB

Name:  LOSA0051-GAL19.jpg
Views: 3869
Size:  28.1 KB
trevord@airage.com
rccanews@airage.com
http://www.rccaraction.com
Old 12-04-2008, 12:12 PM
Certifiable RC Addict

Kudos to Losi for making it as a ROLLER. It is up to the buyer to finish it off with his own choice of electronics.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:30 PM

I like so many others got suckered into buying one of their 1/18 crawlers. Why couldn't they have come out with this one first, or done the 1/18 like this. Looks like they got this one right. At least it isn't so top heavy it falls over crossing a line in the concrete.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdog49 View Post
I like so many others got suckered into buying one of their 1/18 crawlers. Why couldn't they have come out with this one first, or done the 1/18 like this. Looks like they got this one right. At least it isn't so top heavy it falls over crossing a line in the concrete.

That's how Horizon works. Release a "teaser" to get the brand-loyal folk to buy it, as well as eat up shelf space. Then they release a high performance version, and will probably also release 4 different versions of this as a "sport" RTR version.

RTR Tuber

RTR Scaler

RTR Militia

etc.

I see it happening again, but this thing looks absolutely amazing.

Good work Team Losi. You'll only get that out of me every once in a while.

-Eric
Old 12-05-2008, 12:10 AM
Got Baja?

Quote:
Yeah people that fell for the nylint tryed to defend them also, don't get me wrong if you like your little toy thats great, buts lets keep it real its not a competition rig.

IB..
I'm not trying to defend anything. I sell the crap out of the things. We can't keep 'em in stock. They're an exploding class at 801RCC events, and I can think of 20 friends off the top of my head who have at least one of them.

I'm not saying they're a substitute for the 2.2 class, that'd be ridiculous. I love my 2.2's, but the 1.9's are awesome too. Ya, the mini Losi has problems stock. Anyone in here tried to crawl an Axial RTR? The Mini Losi has the same problems in that it's too tall, too flexible, the CG is too high, and the tires don't work, but unlike the RTR Axial, when you want to build a comp rig out of it, you don't have to throw away all of the included electronics and start over again. The servo isn't going to cut it, but everything else works great.

Look, I'm not a Losi fan-boy at all. I agree 100% with Eric about Losi's decline in recent years, but the Mini Crawler is a fantastic product. It has it's flaws, but no more than most r/c's especially other $240 RTR's.

Old 12-05-2008, 01:30 AM

Well done Losi another thing that I have to buy.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:31 AM

Quote:

IB..

Not sure if you noticed, but pretty much all r/c crawlers and any other r/c vehicle will fall into the category of toy. Even the big ones are basically toys. If they have fun with it, great. It's just not a high performance toy like the "comp rigs" are.

-Eric
Old 12-05-2008, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccardude04 View Post
Not sure if you noticed, but pretty much all r/c crawlers and any other r/c vehicle will fall into the category of toy. Even the big ones are basically toys. If they have fun with it, great. It's just not a high performance toy like the "comp rigs" are.

-Eric

Isn't that what I said...?

When I raced I only ran Losi, and I won 2 roar national titles running losi.
Point is I really like Losi cars when they have something good, and this new truck looks good so far,
But that little mrc thing is a joke, and will wind up with all the other 1/18 stuff..... remember the mini -t or the rc-18 everyone had to have one when they first came out, now you never see them at the tracks,
why because they suck for most of us, they do have there place like a kids first car or something.

JM.02

IB..
Old 12-18-2008, 08:09 AM

Any time frame when this will be available? Also, what is the gear ratio of those axles?
Old 12-18-2008, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriS View Post
Any time frame when this will be available? Also, what is the gear ratio of those axles?
I believe not until March.