Password: Log In:

Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2012, 08:47 PM

This place has changed! What gives?

So.................Im old. Well not really (27). But I've been a member here for a very, very long time. And after not being on these forums for what seems like forever (hs, college, carreer, real cars), I stumbled across an old thread of mine in a Bing search. Super random right? Well, I click and start jumping around the forums. Let me tell you, this place seems dead! These forums were hoppin' back in the day! New posts every time you re-freshed the pages, packed classifieds, thousands of users online. What gives? Is rc just not that popular anymore? I still have my cars and I actually busted one of them out recently. But after coming here, I am worried that this great past time is on the decline.

WHAT HAPPENED?!?!?!?!?!
Sponsored Links

Old 08-28-2012, 08:29 AM

Basically, after you left, we were all so devastated that we just couldn't bear to be around the place any more. It was like losing a brother or sister, really.

Seriously though, this could be a good thread. The general consensus is that people aren't trying to fix stuff on their own as much any more. A few old faces keep popping back up recently though; it's like the cool kids club.

We need more cool kids.

-Eric
Old 08-28-2012, 04:51 PM

the workbench side of things has died off so nobody has a reason to ask questions or talk about anything. new hobbyists have no reason to come to a forum anymore.

judging by your user name im guessing you have an RS4. iv got a nitro RS4 2 stashed away in my garage that hasn't been run in probably 10 years.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccardude04 View Post
Basically, after you left, we were all so devastated that we just couldn't bear to be around the place any more. It was like losing a brother or sister, really.

Seriously though, this could be a good thread. The general consensus is that people aren't trying to fix stuff on their own as much any more. A few old faces keep popping back up recently though; it's like the cool kids club.

We need more cool kids.

-Eric
Lulz...Shoulda never left haha.

I don't get it though. Rc cars are not that complicated. Pretty much everything is DIY...or at least I thought it was. To me, that's a contributing factor to why I loved this hobby. And in a way, I believe it helped my mechanical skills...and eventually, I graduated to real cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuburbnHooligan View Post
the workbench side of things has died off so nobody has a reason to ask questions or talk about anything. new hobbyists have no reason to come to a forum anymore.

judging by your user name im guessing you have an RS4. iv got a nitro RS4 2 stashed away in my garage that hasn't been run in probably 10 years.
Like I said, this is a workbench hobby. It doesn't make any sense to me why people wouldn't do their own work. Yep, I had the original Nitro RS4 RTR. Words cannot describe the feeling of finally getting that car. I saved a long time for it and when I got it in my hands...I was the happiest kid on the block! I modded the crap out of it and I was damn proud. Then like an idiot, I traded it (on here via the buy/sell/trade forums) for a first gen nitro rustler like a tard. Al though I did enjoy that rustler and I do still have it.

If anyone has an original nitro RS4 RTR with the original .15fe engine, elecs, and viper gts-r body, I will buy it.

And don't get me started on the modern rc technology. Traxxas....Dear god, since when do electric rustlers and what not go 70mph? What happened to the stinger 20turn? lol Back in the day, the Nitro 4-tec did 50+mph out of the box and that was like holy crap to me. And whats with all the weird vehicles they make now?.....drag cars...realistic stadium trucks...and the stampede is 4x4 now? Seriously? And who the heck is Arrma? This new stuff blows my mind!

I guess im venting a bit but I have seriously had an rc over-dose over the last couple days as im trying to take it all in! I may have to spend some money and buy some new toys. I can finally afford it now!
Old 08-29-2012, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomRS4 View Post
Like I said, this is a workbench hobby. It doesn't make any sense to me why people wouldn't do their own work. Yep, I had the original Nitro RS4 RTR. Words cannot describe the feeling of finally getting that car. I saved a long time for it and when I got it in my hands...I was the happiest kid on the block! I modded the crap out of it and I was damn proud. Then like an idiot, I traded it (on here via the buy/sell/trade forums) for a first gen nitro rustler like a tard. Al though I did enjoy that rustler and I do still have it.
back in the good ol' days it was a workbench hobby. i miss those days. problem is kids today are lazy and incompetent. they want instant gratification. push buttons and have technology do everything for them. they have no interest outside of the virtual grid. the other difference is me and you worked to earn money, saved that money and bought our own cars. kids today, mommy and daddy buy it.
the more prominent that becomes, the worse and more boring RC becomes.

Quote:
If anyone has an original nitro RS4 RTR with the original .15fe engine, elecs, and viper gts-r body, I will buy it.
i still have a nitro RS4 2 RTR. i picked that thing up used in 2001 with a few hop ups on it. ran the piss out of it, it started needing work and parts. at the time i just couldn't afford it so i robbed the radio gear and parked it. it's been sitting sense i think new years 2004.
one of these days ill fix it. all the parts it needs are still availed.

Quote:
And don't get me started on the modern rc technology. Traxxas....Dear god, since when do electric rustlers and what not go 70mph? What happened to the stinger 20turn? lol Back in the day, the Nitro 4-tec did 50+mph out of the box and that was like holy crap to me. And whats with all the weird vehicles they make now?.....drag cars...realistic stadium trucks...and the stampede is 4x4 now? Seriously? And who the heck is Arrma? This new stuff blows my mind!
the stinger much like every other brushed motor is prehistoric relic only seen in ancient forum threads. lol im not even sure modern traxxas fans even know what a stinger motor is.
and the whole speed thing has gotten up it's own ass over the past 10 years. no reason or need for 90% of cars to go as fast as they do. and 90% of owners will never even come close to hitting the speeds the manufacture claims. but it's a marketing gimmick that moves units, so...
those realistic stadium trucks are called short course trucks. they are all the rage right now. you remember the RS4 days when everybody and there brother had one? well short course is even bigger.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:26 AM

I totally agree. Everything kind of died down and got lost in who knows where. I still think there are many many enthusiasts still getting at it and doing there thing.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:07 PM
beer is good...and stuff

This forum just ain't what it used to be. bleh.
Old 09-18-2012, 03:09 PM
Certifiable RC Addict

Quote:
So.................Im old. Well not really (27). But I've been a member here for a very, very long time. And after not being on these forums for what seems like forever (hs, college, carreer, real cars), I stumbled across an old thread of mine in a Bing search. Super random right? Well, I click and start jumping around the forums. Let me tell you, this place seems dead! These forums were hoppin' back in the day! New posts every time you re-freshed the pages, packed classifieds, thousands of users online. What gives? Is rc just not that popular anymore? I still have my cars and I actually busted one of them out recently. But after coming here, I am worried that this great past time is on the decline.

WHAT HAPPENED?!?!?!?!?!
I agree 1000%. I have been around here since early 2000 and loved buy/sell stuff (this section is totally dead, I guess the new rules killed the thread) and much more interaction by members. WHAT HAPPENED?!?!??!!??
Old 09-18-2012, 03:10 PM
Certifiable RC Addict

Quote:

Why do you say the workbench side of things has died? That is my favorite part
Old 09-18-2012, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdcchrome View Post
Why do you say the workbench side of things has died? That is my favorite part
that's my favorite part to. id rather turn wrench's than drive. iv been that way sense day one, and it's why i got involved in the first place.
but kids today aren't like that. and a growing number of people with RC's aren't like that. i see more and more complaining about technical difficulties, less and less custom work, the hobby shop repair line is growing over simple BS reasons. people only seem willing to work on it when they need to replace a broken part or hop up a part. and they seem to only go for direct bolt on parts. if there is any fab work or free thinking involved it's as if it's beyond them and they can't be bothered. people don't want to paint body's anymore. people bitch about having to glue tires. if it doesn't involve huckin' it and crashing it they aren't interested.
the guys who are interested in 2 hours of workbench time for 10 minutes of run time are a dying breed. the next generation of guys who take apart and rebuild a 100% working car because they got bored, don't exist.

and on an unrelated side note:
lots of people on this forum saying "the forum is not as good as it used to be" and things of that nature. well if it's not as good and needs to be better why not make it what it used to be? stop bitching and start posting stimulating content. think of it as a restoration project.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:45 PM
Certifiable RC Addict

Quote:
that's my favorite part to. id rather turn wrench's than drive. iv been that way sense day one, and it's why i got involved in the first place.
but kids today aren't like that. and a growing number of people with RC's aren't like that. i see more and more complaining about technical difficulties, less and less custom work, the hobby shop repair line is growing over simple BS reasons. people only seem willing to work on it when they need to replace a broken part or hop up a part. and they seem to only go for direct bolt on parts. if there is any fab work or free thinking involved it's as if it's beyond them and they can't be bothered. people don't want to paint body's anymore. people bitch about having to glue tires. if it doesn't involve huckin' it and crashing it they aren't interested.
the guys who are interested in 2 hours of workbench time for 10 minutes of run time are a dying breed. the next generation of guys who take apart and rebuild a 100% working car because they got bored, don't exist.

and on an unrelated side note:
lots of people on this forum saying "the forum is not as good as it used to be" and things of that nature. well if it's not as good and needs to be better why not make it what it used to be? stop bitching and start posting stimulating content. think of it as a restoration project.
Hey brother I hear ya. I have not been active much on the forum because of life not allowing me enough time, but I was truly surprised to see how it has died here. I agree that wrenching is most of the fun. I have built to many crazy things and never run them. I posted a crazy custom HPI RS4 the other day and I could have done allot more to it, but the work I did do made it look excellent, in my humble opinion. Mixed in a 1/8th scale Mugen on road clutch and a rear exhaust over powered RB X12 engine just to do it

I have to admit I HATE gluing tires because no matter how careful I am I ALWAYS get CA on my fingers HA! Also, I can paint up to two colors, nothing fancy and it is not my favorite thing to do. So many GOOD painters out there that create works of art and I just don't have that gene in me, so I hire paint work

I have a crazy Tractor puller with FOUR nitro engines on it and it was actually in the 2007 edition (not sure which month) of Car Action. I have looked at it so long I am ready to sell it. May post on here but dont think the right crowd visits this site to appreciate it.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:15 PM
Online News Editor

The Hot News section is very much alive these days.

http://www.radiocontrolzone.com/forumdisplay.php?f=232
trevord@airage.com
rccanews@airage.com
http://www.rccaraction.com
Old 09-19-2012, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Duncan View Post
The Hot News section is very much alive these days.

http://www.radiocontrolzone.com/forumdisplay.php?f=232
and that right there is really the only thing that keeps me coming back here.

when i get no emails telling me somebody has posted in a thread i totally forget to check this forum. without the news im liable to forget about this place again.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:39 PM
HOOH HUAH HOOH! Aww Baby!

yeah.......only a few of us left
Old 09-19-2012, 07:04 PM
Certifiable RC Addict

new thread??????

What would you guys (us hard core wrenchers) think about a thread showing off our creations? Maybe some newbies will get interested.

Jut a thought
Old 09-19-2012, 10:05 PM

well,I'm a newbe and I hope it picks up because I will have lots of questions from easy on to difficult as I break and upgrade my car. one thing that I have noticed is that when I post a question a lot of people view it but only a few respond.that could be from lots of newbe's that don't have any answers yet but where are their questions?drive fast and hard so you can brake it and fix it. Troy
Old 09-19-2012, 10:17 PM
Certifiable RC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy View Post
well,I'm a newbe and I hope it picks up because I will have lots of questions from easy on to difficult as I break and upgrade my car. one thing that I have noticed is that when I post a question a lot of people view it but only a few respond.that could be from lots of newbe's that don't have any answers yet but where are their questions?drive fast and hard so you can brake it and fix it. Troy
I am happy to help anytime. I have been in the hobby since 1978 and owned a hobby shop for 8 years. I dont know everything, but I am a good resource. I am mostly a NITRO guy but do have several electrics I enjoy. It will help you a great deal if you subscribe to Car Action Magazine (I think they have a electronic version too, but not positive) Car Action helped me over the years. I actually have every issue of Car Action from their first issue until the mid 2000's.

Two things to consider if you are going to get serious into this:

Buy a GOOD radio that works on multiple kits
Ask questions if not sure what your doing My local hobby shop as a kid was not very knowledgeable so I am self Taught but there is so much info out there now and guys like me that you will do fine.
The Following User Says Thank You to hdcchrome For This Useful Post:
troy (09-19-2012)
Old 09-19-2012, 10:35 PM

thats good news.I've been a mechanic most of my life and one thing I have learned is that it is much better to ask people who already know than to deal with trial and error over a long period of time.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:37 PM
Certifiable RC Addict

Quote:
thats good news.I've been a mechanic most of my life and one thing I have learned is that it is much better to ask people who already know than to deal with trial and error over a long period of time.
So what are you running?
Old 09-19-2012, 10:42 PM

rustler vxl.my first car.three weeks ago.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:41 AM
Certifiable RC Addict

Quote:
rustler vxl.my first car.three weeks ago.
Cool, get Lipo's and a good charger to maintain them.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:37 PM

I like this idea of restoring the interest in the forum. I think im going to brainstorm for a while and think of some ways to promote the forum.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:03 PM
Certifiable RC Addict

remove the search function, while it is a very useful tool, it is a forum killer. i'm sure everyone has seen it or is guilty of. when a member asks a question and they get nothing but "USE THE SEARCH THIS QUESTION HAS ALREADY BEEN ANSWERED A BAZILLION TIMES!!!". well that person is probable not going to stay around for long and the meaning of a forum is lost. this is not a WIKI its a forum. users come here to get help or show their gear off, not to get told off because people wont answer a simple question. if you don't get rid of it at least make a rule about it and make sure to enforce it!
Old 10-16-2012, 01:46 AM

I remember this place beeing nutty busy back in the day. I really miss that. You could nearly hold a chat conversation with people through threads, it was so busy. All kinds of new and exciting posts, the FS section was awesome for great deals everytime you refreshed your browser, and there was always some kind of excitment with a member or two getting lippy with StevePond which was part of my everyday entertainment. ^.^

I did used to live on this forum in High school, wont lie.

...I miss this place, how it was.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:19 AM
Certifiable RC Addict

Ah. Nice to see some oldies still dropping by from time to time.

Yup. This site used to be the bomb when it comes to any land RC related discussion. Heck, don`t visit the forum for just one day, you have some catching up to do in reading 5 or more pages of threads, replies and posts. Memories...

Kids these days are more into social media stuff. They will rather update their status in FB or twitter than building kits, racing, bashing etc.