Password: Log In:

Notices

Hot News and New Stuff Forum Cars, Trucks, Boats Up-to-the minute news on the latest kits, RTRs, parts, accessories and more. Be sure to subscribe!

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2013, 08:28 AM
Online News Editor

TLR 22-4 1/10 4WD Off-Road Buggy

Latest from TLR:

All good things come to those who wait.

The Team Losi Racing Twenty Two-Four (22-4) heralds the return of the marque to the 1:10 scale 4WD electric Off-Road arena and is set to re-invent the class expectations and reinvigorate interest all around the globe.

A spiritual successor to the all-conquering XX-4; a buggy that defined expectations and changed the course of RC history in the 1990s, the Team Losi Racing 22-4 is ready, just as it’s ancestor did, to redefine standards and set new levels of performance in the 1:10 Off Road 4WD race class.

To finish first, first you have to finish. There’s nothing more frustrating for a racer than to have a great run halted by a component failure and so the ground-up design of the 22-4 follows the robust ethos of the Twenty Two 2WD series to help ensure that it will withstand the rigours and stresses that today’s modern power systems and track designs impart to the R/C cars and that can often otherwise result in DNFs and failure.

The 2.5mm 7075 Aluminium alloy main chassis yields strength and rigidity whilst also providing the basis for the sealed, modular multi-belt transmission system. A system that unlike the XX-4 can now be independently maintained or removed, as a whole from the chassis leaving the suspension in-situ. Strategically milled to reduce weight, improve flex and to provide the all-important but often forgotten wire routing for the ESC or Servo to the RX, the 22-4 has been carefully thought out and detailed by racers for racers.

Ball-type differentials nestle within the front and rear gearboxes, protected by the HD slipper clutch whilst drive can be adjusted to the front wheels thus providing tunability to suit track conditions. As an Off-Road Buggy, the 22-4 has to be able to take the rough with the smooth and so it’s been specified out of the box with universal style drive shafts that transmit power to all four wheels unfettered by transmission bind to provide a bump response that’s as pure as it gets so you can tune it to perform to exacting requirements under all conditions.

Large 12mm bore dampers adorn each corner and feature the ‘Gen 2’ machined internals and X-ring seals as found in the 22 2.0 2WD Buggy which, along with the TiCN coated shafts and machined pistons provide an ultra-smooth action that’s both good looking and durable. The TiCN treatment doesn’t stop there either; hinge pins are similarly coated to ensure a hard –wearing yet incredibly lush suspension movement.

As with the 22 2WD before it, the 22-4 4WD Buggy has been designed with durability in mind. Aluminium alloy camber blocks are included as standard along with aluminium alloy front caster blocks for the ultimate in ease of mind and race-toughness. High quality rubber shielded bearings are used throughout the transmission and driveline to help ensure the greatest longevity in the harsh off-road conditions and racing environment.

Because it’s a Team Losi Racing kit, we’ve left the tire choice down to you but instead, we’ve included two sets of wheels. Twenty-Two 2WD owners will no doubt be pleased to know that the 22-4 4WD buggy shares the same rear wheel as their existing 2WD, thus helping to cut down on racing costs when competing in 2 classes.

A 1.2mm thick 6.5 inch wide rear wing is included along with the new ‘mid-cab’ design bodyshell that retains the Team Losi Racing family look and feel as much as possible.

We could go on but the reality is that you already know just how good the 22-4 is because if, like the Team Losi Racing designers and engineers, you too have Off-Road R/C coursing through your veins, then you can already sense the expectation and anticipation that the 22-4 is about to usher in a new era of 1:10 EP Off-Road race worthiness and competitiveness.

Ever since the release of the innovative Twenty-Two 2WD platform racers and enthusiasts around the globe have been clamouring for a 4WD stablemate to accompany their 2WD. It may have been a long time coming but because it’s a Team Losi Racing product, we knew it had to be right and as they say, “All good things come to those who wait.”

Features:
  • 2.5mm thick Hard Anodised 7075 T-6 Aluminium Chassis
  • Belt Drivetrain
  • Centralised Forward Motor
  • Gen II Hard Anodised 12mm Big Bore Emulsion Shocks
  • Revised Slipper System
  • Improved Differentials
  • Universal Driveshafts front and rear
  • Small Diameter Outdrives
  • Tungsten Carbide Diff and thrust balls included
  • Ball Bearing Steering
  • Full Ball Bearings
  • Ti-CN (Titanium-CarbonNitride) Hinge Pins
  • Included Aluminium Parts
  • Adjustable Anti-squat
  • Metric Hardware
  • Integrated Battery Hold Down System
  • One set of Yellow and White wheels included
  • Mid-Cab Body
  • New 6.5in 1.2mm thick lexan wing included
  • Compact Wing Mount
  • Various hop ups already included in the box adding to the durability and strength of the platform

Specs:

Type: 4wd Off-Road Buggy Kit
Completion Level: Kit
Scale: 10th Scale
Length/Width/Height: 419.1mm / 239.0mm / 165.1mm
Weight: 1871g (66.0 oz)
Ground Clearance: Adjustable
Wheelbase: 282.3mm (11.10 in)
Front Track: 239.0mm (9.41 in)
Rear Track: 236.0mm (9.29 in)
Chassis: 2.5mm Plate, 7075-T6 Aluminium
Suspension: Four Wheel Independent
Shock Type: Coilover, Oil Filled
Drivetrain: 4WD
Differential: Ball Differential
Wheel Diameter: 55.9mm
Wheel Width: Front: 26.0mm (1.04 in)
Rear: 38.0mm (1.50 in)
Spur Gear: 84T
Gear Pitch: 48-pitch
Internal Gear Ratio: 2.30:1
Body: Clear Polycarbonate
Ball Bearings : Full Set

Needed to complete:
  • Assembly Tools
  • 2-Channel Radio and Receiver
  • Electronic Speed Controller
  • 540-Sized Motor
  • Pinion Gear
  • Steering Servo
  • 1/10th 4WD Front Tires and Inserts
  • 1/10th 4WD Rear Tires and Inserts
  • Battery Pack
  • Charger
  • Polycarbonate Paint

TLR03005 - $469.99

trevord@airage.com
rccanews@airage.com
http://www.rccaraction.com
Sponsored Links

Old 09-26-2013, 08:49 AM
Certifiable RC Addict

Very nice Losi. What's old is new again (and much improved it looks like!)
Old 09-26-2013, 09:32 AM

AGREED!!! A completely revamped and beefed up XX4. I like this! I loved my XX4WE when I raced it....just a bugger to work on. This one is beefed up in all the right places. NOW, to find someplace nearby that runs 4wd buggy.....
Old 09-26-2013, 06:19 PM
Certifiable RC Addict

Not buying one. It doesn't have the mandatory go fast butt forward body on it... Oh, wait, that's not needed anymore? There is a Santa after all....

I wanted one when they came out the first time but couldn't bring myself to buy something that I would only be able to run in the yard and street. Same issue as most of us; no track and not enough owners of the same class. Everyone is running the bashers dream - a Slash.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:48 PM

wow losi's gone old school in a modern way.
2 bad it's $200 over priced.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:32 PM

I just wish it didn't cost so much. I'm considering a Durango now as they have dropped their price to $200 for the top level 4wd buggy.
But even then, I am holding back as I want to see what my LHS track is going to have for turnouts this winter. Something OTHER than short course hopefully.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:22 PM
Online News Editor

Video added to the 1st post.
trevord@airage.com
rccanews@airage.com
http://www.rccaraction.com
Old 09-27-2013, 12:58 PM
Certifiable RC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuburbnHooligan View Post
wow losi's gone old school in a modern way.
2 bad it's $200 over priced.
If you take inflation and all of the machined aluminum parts into consideration, this buggy actually costs less than the XX4.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:36 PM

Naa....Not interested....NOT A BELT-DRIVE FAN AT ALL!
SC8 | SC10 | TC3-Rally | GT | T3 | RC10 | Losi Mini-T | HPI Micro RS4 | Tamiya HotShot
http://www.youtube.com/user/t3gt2000
The TiltYard!!
Old 09-27-2013, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kufman View Post
If you take inflation and all of the machined aluminum parts into consideration, this buggy actually costs less than the XX4.
don't care. still think it's over priced.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:10 PM

ya know...if this was 10 years ago, I would crank up the old belt vs shaft thingie but I am older, wiser and have less energy...

ahh, WTH....Belts Blow...
T3GT (09-28-2013)
Old 09-28-2013, 10:08 AM

I dunno, my SC10 4x4 works alright and it's got a belt going to the front.

And the XXX-4 was shaft drive. It was so terrible that they brought back the belt car to fix it.

1/8-onroad cars are belt drive. A lot of motorcycles are belt drive, and the accessories on everyone's car has a rubber belt too.

I used to be a hater but... they're really not so bad.

The whole 3-belt thing is a little dated though. I'll give you that much at least!

Also, 4x4 buggy has never been cheap. It's actually about $30 less than I *guessed* so... as far as I'm concerned it's pretty close. The question is ... will it hold up? 4x4 buggy seems to have a high breakage rate. I'm not sure it's necessarily that the cars aren't built well, just that there's so much traction and horsepower... My 2wd buggy I hardly ever break with a 13.5, but with a 6.5 I spend $80/night on parts. Will be neat to see a buggy that can stand up to 6.5 abuse week after week with some idiot like me behind the radio. If it can, it'll pay for itself in about 3-4 weekends as far as I'm concerned. It looks pretty stout. Only time and reports will tell!

-Eric

Last edited by rccardude04; 09-28-2013 at 11:03 AM.
Old 09-28-2013, 12:26 PM

About Time Losi.. Love my xx4 hate my xxx4 g+..
Drive train is not sealed as they say .as slipper clutch adjustment screw is open so dirt will get in..Never had any issues with belt drives ..I have broken belts and In shaft drives I have blown up drive cups..Like the clicker setup .

I will Buy one of these ..saddle packs are ready and waiting same with motor and esc..Chomping at the bit for this
at $469 and $539...Oh well my money I'll do what I want with it..
The Following User Says Thank You to tntpoof For This Useful Post:
rccardude04 (10-02-2013)
Old 09-28-2013, 04:07 PM

been wondering if they will use the basic layout and 3 belt design and make a new gen street weapon.
then TL racing will have a TC in there product line.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:40 PM

Hmm, I don't remember a XXX-4 Shaft driven Buggy, I thought the XXX-4 was a single belt buggy like this:
http://www.tlracing.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=LOSA0015

From what I remember, durability was a Serious Issue with the XX-4. All of the ones at my local track were lucky if they would finish a 4 minute race back in the day. They were ALWAYS on the work bench needing something that was broke, and very difficult to work on. The Yokomos were way better. Not only would they Not Break, they would at least finish the race...LOL....BUT, it too was belt driven with it's high maintenance as well. Of course back then, those were the ONLY choices you had in the late 90's.

The last I ever saw of the XX-4 platform was when LOSI made the Rally Weapon. There were a couple guys at our local track that raced them against our TC3-Rally set-ups, but they would break very often not finishing the race. They handled OK I guess, but they were SO fragile. It was kind of funny to see an On-Road based TC3-Rally out perform a XX-4 based Rally Weapon on the track.

All in All though, I'm just NOT a belt drive guy. I agree that the 1/8th On-Roads are very successful with the belt-drive layout, and have been for a LONG TIME, but as for 10th scales and smaller, I'm not impressed at all. They always have a complicated layout and need way too much maintenance for no reason at all. I'll take the simplicity, durability and efficiency of the Shaft-Drive platforms any day over belts -- My preference --
SC8 | SC10 | TC3-Rally | GT | T3 | RC10 | Losi Mini-T | HPI Micro RS4 | Tamiya HotShot
http://www.youtube.com/user/t3gt2000
The TiltYard!!

Last edited by T3GT; 09-28-2013 at 10:54 PM.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:20 PM

The XXX-4 was NEVER shaft drive. It was a single belt drive car based on their on road car.
Old 09-30-2013, 02:30 PM
Certifiable RC Addict

I like the updated XX-4 design. Love my XX-4 but durability is an issue. The XXX-4 was a pile compared to the XX-4 if you were on a rough track. This will definitely be on my list to get.